Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Both

Yes, but this was brought back to who scored the first try in normal time.

At least with the golden goal rule both sides were on an equal footing

Wonderful news for traditionalists

What rugby jerseys have Umbro made? Cant recall any off the top of my head.

Itā€™s all very scummy soccer like cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy grrr

2 Likes

England and Scotland jerseys of the 1980s were also made by Umbro but unbranded

Iā€™d forgotten about Ireland having Umbro, youā€™re right, England did too, I didnā€™t realise until I did a google there. By God.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s an actual England jersey

The jersey Iā€™m talking about is the traditional plain England jersey as worn up to 1991/92

The Grand Slam decider of 1990 between Scotland and England would have had both teams playing in Umbro-made jerseys, but no Umbro logo

Irelandā€™s jerseys of the early 1990s were made by Adidas but were also not branded as such

I presume Oā€™Neills made them up to the Mick Doyle era at least

Englandā€™s first branded jersey was for the 1991 World Cup which was made by Cotton Traders, a company run by former England international Fran Cotton

They reverted to the plain jersey for the 1992 Five Nations and then had another new jersey after that

The four ā€œhome nationsā€ were late to branded jerseys

France and Australia had both been wearing branded Adidas or Le Coq Sportif or Canterbury jerseys for years

The Umbro jersey in 1993 was Irelandā€™s first branded jersey, it only lasted one year before Nike took over for 1994

Wales brought one in for 1992, which was made by Cotton Traders, the Tony Copsey/Frano match was the first time they wore it

I donā€™t think Scotland wore a branded jersey until 1999

1 Like

That English one looks like something out of the tower of London

I lost an under 16s all Ireland final the same way. We didnā€™t even know the rule until 3 or 4 minutes till the end. A bastard.

So thatā€™s 6 from the Southern Hemisphere (New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, Western Samoa and Fiji) and not 4. Make your mind up. Youā€™re all over the place.

Can you not read? ā€“ I said each tournament is just about boiling it down to a handful of teams which largely consist of the original 5 nations and a few from the southern hem ā€¦ since SA have been allowed into the tournament in 1995 - SA, NZ, and Oz hae reached the QFs without fail each tournament ā€” the only shock being another Southern Hem team joining them at the expense of the original 5 nation teams ---- Canada have been the only exception to this ---- but it was pre SAā€¦ youā€™ve said your self the competition is a waste of time until the QF ā€¦ theyd be better off if they let the cannon fodder play a few games against each other reduced it to 6 of them come through to play with the 6ns teams and the four big southern hem teams - 4 groups of 4 - top 2 from each group go through ā€¦ what are Namibia and the likes getting out of their 70 point tonkings?

No, you said there were only four potential quarter finalists from the Southern Hemisphere. Iā€™ve pointed out to you, that there has been six different quarter finalists from the southern hemisphere within the time frame you cited from 1995 onwards. In the 2007 tournament, 5 of the 8 quarter finalists were from the southern hemisphere - South Africa, Argentina, Fiji, Australia and New Zealand.

You have taken it up totally wrong. ā€¦ it boils down to the same ā€¦ we need to restructure it to have a much more entertaining spectacle

Tiered tournament? Joe McDonagh, Tommy Murphy style cups?

Iā€™m not sure Geoff ---- but 4 x 4 groups would be far more cut throat and entertaining.

Is it possible it isnā€™t as humid at some of the other venues. I wouldnā€™t be au fait with the various micro climates in Japan

I know youā€™re only a once every four years man but your proposal wouldnā€™t do much to grow the game. If you hang around post RWC you will see the wonderful efforts being made worldwide. Rubby is very inclusive. Why shut the door on teams like Los Lelos who have added so much?

I see the Ireland Samoa game could be called off and this seemed a 0-0 draw. Thereby eliminating Ireland.

Rubby :joy::joy:

I somehow doubt it will be called off