Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

You seem to misunderstand what a lottery is.

1 Like

That has nothing to do with it — Rubby has the same lottery in place … now if you want to examine why it’s so rare in rubby compared to soccer - I suggest you start with the differences between scoring in both games - there might a be a clue there

The outcome in rugby matches is a mathematical equation. The bookies work it out and they rarely get it wrong.

It would be preferable if rugby had provision for a replay after a drawn knock out match. Thankfully in sports like rugby and American Football, it is a statistical anomaly for that most unsatisfactory state of affairs to arise that a winner is declared after a drawn match by relying on a lottery.

Test cricket has the best approach. If a test cricket match ends in draw, it’s called a draw. Either do that or have a replay.

Happy to provide the 10th like

Rubby has peno kicks if it’s a draw. ---- Knockout American Football has a coin toss to see which team gets the ball first - in a first team to score wins scenario — a poor example there from you.

@anon61878697 is a former rubby player and the foremost rubby expert on TFK.

Correct on all counts.

I’ve yet to be beaten on a debate about rubby.

I haven’t said anything to the contrary. What I said was it would be preferable if rugby had provision for a replay in the event of a drawn knock out match. Thankfully there’s never been a drawn knock out match at a Rugby World Cup which has had to resort to a lottery.

1 Like

The fact that most of the teams involved are completely out of their depth really mitigates against the chances of a draw as well

3 Likes

2003 final?

Level after the regulation 80 minutes. England won by 3 after extra time.

They have a world cup to boil it down to the original 5 nations and 3 Southern Hem teams – or in a major shock, it will be 4 of the original 5 nations and 4 southern hem teams … this has only been upset once I think - by Canada in 1991 - Since SA joined the competition - Australia, SA and NZ have never failed to make a QF.

That and humidity.
Humidity appears to be the deciding factor in most games (well in the irish ones).

Had the 1995 final been a draw after extra-time, New Zealand would have won on superior disciplinary record in the tournament

South Africa had James Dalton sent off in their group match against Canada and Pieter Hendriks was subsequently cited and suspended for fighting in the same match

There was a wonderful points system in operation in that tournament

Teams got three points for a win, two for a draw, and one for turning up

Thanks mate, I just need the tenth for this now and it’ll be a wonderful mornings work on here Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

I remember being an an AIL final around a decade ago which was decided after extra time by which team scored the first try.

A ludicrous way to decide a final

Western Samoa were quarter finalists in 1995, Fiji in 2007, Argentina 1999, 2007, 11 & 15 (and semi finalists in 2007 & 15). For somebody who was only just claiming to be never wrong on rugby, we haven’t had long to wait for you to slip up - about 15 minutes.

2 Likes

What hemisphere are Samoa and Fiji? And what about Argentina?

Wasn’t the 1996 or 2000 European Nations Cup soccer final decided on sudden death Golden Goal?