Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

I hope our lineout is ok against NZ

Who do NZ get in the semi? They’ll probably rest a few against Ireland.

you’re right… Joe is gonna have to have a couple of forwards told they are getting 40-50 mins and to go out and absolutely empty the tank… And the next two in the same. It was reckless abandone what beat NZ previously…and they haven’t had a physical game in weeks while Ireland have been slowly building momentum.

1 Like

Handiest pool of all time, whoever they get in the last eight, they couldn’t have been handed a more perfect run in if they’d set the fixtures themselves.

France have not looked great so far but I have huge respect for their pedigree of suddenly unleashing hell on more fancied teams in World Cup knockout games

They have reached the semi-finals in six of the eight World Cups to date

I would not write them off

1 Like

I have to say I have a fancy for the Japs to beat the Saffers.

They’ll get stronger the longer they stay in it alright.

Look at my patriotism and knowledge of the game.

I haven’t watched a game of this WC yet and I don’t have a TV but I might sign into the giddy thread and watch this.

Let’s do this @anon61878697 and @mikehunt . #teamofus . We need a good scrum.

1 Like

time to get behind the team now… That’s all for another day.

1 Like

There were signs of a return to form yesterday. Next Saturday might just be the day it all falls back into place.

1 Like

It’s a disappointment for the Irish rugby media that they won’t get to hype up the feud between Joe Schmidt and Felix Jones

Ireland have still never played South Africa in a World Cup

Or England

This will be our first ever knockout tie against New Zealand

What all teams have Ireland ever played in WC knockout ties? If I’m going to support the team I need to know this stuff:-

• Wales
  • France
  • Argentina

Who else?

These games were all QFs obviously, crunch group-deciders don’t count.

@Sidney, this would be a task for a real sports trivia nerd like you.

Oz x 2

1 Like

Fuck I’m buzzing. Sorry for spamming the thread.

1 Like

Ireland missed a trick not going down that side of the draw.

Exactly. Now is the time to play new Zealand. You won’t win the thing without beating them and in a world cup setting we have had the best run in we could possibly ask for. The winner of this game will probably win the thing.

1 Like

1987 and 1991 - Oz
1995 - France
1999 - Argentina - not a quarter-final - an effective 1/8th final
2003 - France
2007 - nobody
2011 - Wales
2015 - Argentina

The final pool game in 1995 against Wales was effectively knockout

I suppose you could argue the same about the final pool game in 2007 against Argentina but Ireland had to win by a silly scoreline

England won the World Cup in 03 without beating them.

1 Like

This is the thread about the 2019 rugby world cup, try to keep up.

So did Australia in 1999 and South Africa in 2007

Actually only Australia in 1991 and South Africa in 1995 have won a World Cup beating New Zealand in the tournament