Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Every test match in rugby is important. You seem to place a lot of emphasis though on a result from a match from a year ago, or three years ago as an indicator that the same outcome is going to happen in the here and now. Rugby and sport doesen’t work like that.

Take a sport you’re more familiar with hurling. Limerick were the best team in the world in 2018. They were fairly shit in 2019 though despite just about everybody predicting they would reach 2018 levels of performance and retain their world title.

The New York Classic is on next month Dan.

So you’re implying that predicting on last year’s results is the way to go and it’s fair to be surprised if they aren’t repeated the following year? You’d have to make Ireland favourites so

1 Like

I’ll take this. Yes they are important but they won’t be the deciding factor for tomorrow where NZ are still favourites. The fact that we have beaten them a couple of times certainly gives more grounds for optimism but that is not to underestimate NZ strength and track record at world cups.

To give a hurling analogy - it’s like teams beating KK in the league back when they were at their peak. It didn’t mean that they’d beat them in Championship but if they couldn’t beat them in league then it was much harder to see them pulling off a shock in the summer so it was something always useful

2 Likes

Ewan hasn’t done his homework. David Campese didn’t face the silly dance. He was usually gearing up to rip New Zealand apart - 1991 World Cup semi final at Lansdowne Road, a case in point.

1 Like

@tallback - you seem to be one of the few who is able to talk sense in here. NZ are 12-13 point favourites tomorrow. I know you have confidence in Ireland to win but if you’re wrong do you still see Ireland being beaten by a bigger margin than that?

I’m only after realising you’re an awful wanker

Is it because of my harmless little jibe about Manyoo and 'Pool a couple of days ago? I’m sorry brah.

No, its the whole Oirish/Mick thing and the sheer amount of wankery going on in that post above

1 Like

It’s certainly possible against the All-Blacks, they’re one of the few teams that can get the run on you. I think one of Irelands strengths though is their defence - and it’s something that they can really look to as a basis of success against NZ.

2 Likes

Huh? I’ve just quoted some statistics with a bit of an InZid twang for the week that is in it. I wouldn’t be getting worked up about it.

2 Likes

Wanker

Sorry Dan … most of today’s responses were in reply to McKenna’s piece.

At least we can establish that Dan doesn’t have you on ignore anyway.

Myself and Dan are great mates.

1 Like

That was 28 years ago — things may have changed since then … Like Canada’s form and World Rubby’s stance on the haka.

Chairman Dan and Sidney are the same poster.

28 years ago but more importantly, also the amateur era. In the professional era strict guidelines have been set down and teams have been fined for not standing in the correct position to face it. In truth the haka used to be a rarely seen thing and a big event, it tends to lose its glamour when rolled out weekly to face down Namibians and Canadians.

Let’s go team Ireland and Coach Schmidt #teamofus

That’s a terrible looking pint.

1 Like