Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

England were much older. A quick google there says they had 15 players 30+. Wilkinson was nearly the youngest at 24. We have 5 guys younger than that, one of whom is our best player James Ryan.

All blacks had 11 30+ in squad in 2015

Just saying x number of players were 30+ doesn’t mean much though. Should he make it, Best will be by some distance the oldest player to play in a rugby world cup final. Kearney and Sexton I’d say will also be the oldest players in their position to play in a final should they manage it.

Its just not the major negative it could be seen as. SA have an older hooker than Best in their squad!

He can probably throw the ball in straight though

5 Likes

Interesting point. Are we still as dependent on the older players as we are then? I dunno if we have moved on as much as we should.

Like all sports, I think the peak age is slowly moving south. Best is a huge outlier at this stage.

Surely they are not superpowers seeing as they have never participated in The Championship, the pre eminent rugby competition?

2 Likes

No surprise there was a much better performance from Ireland once O’Mahony was dropped.

5 of the 10 will probably start. Reliant on Sexton and Murray out of that cohort. Reasonable alternatives for the rest.

5/10 are front rows so the age profile again is less of a negative. Best as said is a huge outlier

All sports? Maybe the average age, but the peak of the elite guys seems to be extending into the 30s more and more. Boxers especially lasting a lot longer (this is my impression and may or may not be backed up by fact).

Yes but he is unlikely to see any game time in the bigger games and their starting hooker will be a 25 year old. Not developing any serious alternative for Best in the last 4 years is some gamble by Schmidt.

Best mightnt start any of the big games either the form hes in. Im not sure it was a gamble by Schmidt, it is an area of weakness in Irish rugby for a good few years.

Loads of fellas who came through the provinces ended up retired ahead of time through injury.

No idea mate.

Nz scored 14 tries today, 14, remarkable. They even took off a player to make a game of it. Ireland wouldn’t score 14 tries in a tournament.

Jonah Lomu was just fearfully unlucky.
Didn’t another of that SA team nearly die also?

These 5 players plyed their trade mostly in an amateur era. I see Donal Lenihan hobbling around the place sometimes and wonder whether it was worth it or not from his point of view and how the current incumbents will fair out In 20 years time.

3 Likes

Ireland are no.1 in the world?? Wow… Are they favourites with the bookies?

1 Like

They are. They’re number one in the world but I got a lambasting from the rubby lads for suggesting that not making it past the last eight in a competition with about 8 competitive teams would be a failure. You couldn’t make it up.

1 Like

It would be a monumental failure… Thats not looking to wind up or anything, they have one group to worry about and thats it…