Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

That Grand Slam decider was 2003. The game where Horgan scored in the corner was 2006 in Twickenham. 2007 we beat them by 30 points in Croke Park.

And they still made it as far as the WC final that year. Ireland, well, were abysmal in that tournament.

1 Like

08 heā€™d talking about. Cipriani was playing

Oh yeah sorry I knew it was the year they won the world cup. Would I be right in saying they were never really very good at the same time. What is our overall record Vs them since 2003?
I think it took a lot of the good out of it for me that we beat them so often. They were serious panto villains 20 years ago. Healey Dawson Johnson etc

We beat them every year from 04 to 08.

That definitely wasnā€™t a Grand Slam decider anyway. We were a rabble in the 2008 6 Nations and Eddie Oā€™ Sullivan was sacked after it. Wales won the Grand Slam in Gattyā€™s first season.

1 Like

Commentators eye

They hammered us.

He destroyed us that.

Very good to be fair. In the 15 years that followed 2003 they only beat us 4 times in a competitive game I think (2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016).

1 Like

Jesus, thatā€™s a shocking stat for the tans.

I remember beating them in 2001, a Keith Wood winning try. it was a huge deal.

A lot of guessing going on on this thread.

They beat us in 2019 in the Aviva. I watched on in horror from leopardstown.

That was some bubble bursting.

1 Like

Yeah I was using the 15 years after 2003 to emphasise @Arthurā€™s point. They have us an almighty beating in Andy Farrellā€™s first season (2020) in Twickenham too.

1 Like

Lads were saying it was still fine after Wales nearly whitewashed us. ā€œSchmidt is saving plays for the World Cupā€

1 Like

Fellas had some faith in Schmidt-ball :grinning:

Even after Japan in the WC, everything was going to be fine.

3 Likes

Schmidt was a bluffer and Cunt. He destroyed a generation of Irish rugby players.

They couldnā€™t be told. And we tried.

So were England.

1 Like

England won at Lansdowne Road in 2013 and 2019 and gave us a pre-pandemic pasting at Twickenham in the early days of Andy Farrellā€™s reign.