Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

He can be a liability in defence. Positionally good, reads are good but falls off tackle/tackles with arm

There was a kiwi on Reddit who compiled footage of earls defensive cockups

2 Likes

Earls is playing better than ever. Heā€™ll be the finest if he plays. The all blacks are the worst NZ team to ever go to a world cup.

Oh I didnā€™t think you were actually being serious. I wasnā€™t trying to do Oā€™Brien down, I just donā€™t think heā€™s lightning paced. Youā€™re talking about replacing Hansen who doesnā€™t rely on pace anyway, so I donā€™t think pace is a concern in selecting his replacement, I really donā€™t think thereā€™s much between the three of them on that front.

Thatā€™s just anti Leinster bias mate, you canā€™t say anything positive about a non-leinster player unless you also acknowledge that Leinster are the greatest of all time, apparently.

Here you go @glasagusban. Lionel is a though and through rugby man and i was a regular at the rds for about 4 months in 2007/8. Surely youā€™ll bow to our greater knowledge.

If a kiwi off on Reddit and a man who went to a few matches fifteen year ago - putting him in the top echelon of most knowledgeable leinster rubby supporters - both said it, then who am I to argue.

Donā€™t mind engaging with him. To borrow the words of the great Tom Ryan @Juhniallio wouldnā€™t know if a rugby ball was pumped or stuffed.

2 Likes

Nodding my head in agreement with the kiwi off reddit

@glasagusbanā€™s rugby knowledge comes from having 2 mates who like rugbyā€¦

I know more about the rubby than most rubby supporters.

Fair play to you keeping it to yourawlf

To be honest I am surprised one of Henshaw or Earls wasnā€™t sent home for Healy. I think heā€™d make a big difference off the bench vs. the All Blacks.

Whilst it is positive both can play it is an injury that you canā€™t really rely on to not flare up (player adrenaline etc).

Hard to know who would you drop out of the two. On the one hand Henshawā€™s injury profile isnā€™t great (neither is Earls) but on the other Henshaw has more upside as an onfield performer.

Perhaps a sign that Ryan may still go home.

Thatā€™s just tearing up the reasoning for your breakdown in squad selection altogether.

Not really. We are at the quarter finals stage. We need to pick the best players available.

Rumour is Ryan is back in Dublin for a small procedure and it is hoped he will be back for a semi final if we got there.

I get keeping him around, particularly with that kind or injury although we have decent second row stocks.

Iā€™d personally be wary of either Henshaw or Earls this weekend with those kinds of injuries.

Imo earls was brought more for what he adds off the pitch and around the squad during the week. Iā€™d be shocked if he got game time.

They had Conway in over the summer who has barely rugby in two years.

They clearly donā€™t really rate any of our back options. Imo itā€™ll be jimmy o Brien and possibly ringrose before earls.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be more comfortable with an injury time decision of a 36 year old Earls vs. anyone other than the All Blacks.

That would be an awful move for morale. It would be wrong in every way imho.

1 Like

By the sounds of it, Lowe will be fine anyway so that reduces the problem.

Second row sub then between Baird and McCarthy. Iā€™d say it would prob be Baird as more flexibility across positions and itā€™s not like NZ have a SA type massive pack.

1 Like

Guys, itā€™s the #teamofus. 4 proud provinces please this week.