Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

You’d want a big hand… You probably aren’t including Portugal in that or anything sure

I’m merely pointing out why people dislike Irish rugby. The idea that this or any other Irish team have been successful is nonsense.

NZ have nothing to lose. It will be D Day for this Irish group. It will be a defining win in rugby history when the All Blacks are beaten after 20 minutes.

You’re making a holy show of yourself.

Even if we take your stupid hypothesis about the definition of success - you’re wrong again about that being the reason. That’s a pretty impressive strike-rate in about 3 posts.

No Irish soccer team has ever been successful by any sort of metric you’re ascribing to the rugby team. People don’t actively go out of their way to loudly drone on about disliking them like they do for the rugby team. Same for many GAA counties around the country. Same for most Irish international sporting teams.

The reason people dislike the rugby team is usually more about them than the team or the sport. Usually something from the menu of reverse snobbery, jealousy about the attention vs their preferred sport, twisted nationalism or just plain old Irish begrudgery.

Some - and I’m worried you’re in this bracket - just want to be a dick about something to itch a scratch in their own life. Then try and make up reasons to justify their own behaviour. It’s mostly just odd.

1 Like

A few lads who grew up worshipping Italia 90 as kids can’t believe things change.

A lot of sweep sweeping going on for an innocent question by @Perez2017. @Halfpipe with the most insightful answer. Would we garner much support on the Shankill road or what would their thought process be regarding the Irish rugby team? You’d think as we move towards a more secular society that religious rivalries would have mellowed significantly.

The Irish RWC merchandise is sold out everywhere seemingly. Down to the Vodafone jerseys everywhere.

This really is rugby country.

The Saffer game is set to be the most watched programme of the year in Northern Ireland, industry insiders say. Tomorrow might eclipse it.

It’s the most watched sporting event of all time on the island.

Vodafone merch, as I said. There’s very little RWC stuff left. I was in Eleverys earlier and the chap said they hope to get more (they’re the official reseller) depending on tomorrow.

A few weeks ago one whole side of the Sussex Street store was full of gear with lads pacing up and down telling others their travel arrangements whilst pulling several polos off the peg.

I got my jersey as a Christmas present in 2021. I prefer the current ensemble though. Think it was my first Ireland rugby jersey since the 2007 World Cup one which had bad connotations initially but ultimately was the jersey we were wearing when we won the 2009 Grand Slam.

Canterbury have made a couple of nice old school jerseys for this one but the main one still seems to be popular (even though there was a lot of criticism of it).

1 Like

Plenty of them in the Aviva at every game. The schoolboy stand used to have an eclectic mix of lads off the train from Cork, Limerick and Belfast.

Dornan would have been one of them

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/rugby/jamie-dornan-says-cried-three-27810707.amp

How do these fit?

Cha ching

Go big or go home.

I could see a few lads in here pulling this off

IMG_5971

2 Likes

Probably one for Friday Fashion thread but horizontal stripes are very flattering for the larger man. They make you look ten per cent thinner.

The baldy head?

Is that a confused @Bandage in the airport?