Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

In fairness, and Iā€™d be as anti rugby football as the next man, the vast majority of the current Ireland players seem grand lads. The likes of Keenan, Doris, Ringrose, Sheehan, Henderson et al all seem fairly inoffensive, grounded lads and miles away from Heaslip types. Farrell seems a decent guy too.

Had Off the Ball on last night for a bit. It was like a different game they were analysing. Not a single word of criticism of the Ireland team. Just about how brave they were, how gut wrenching the whole thing is. The equivalent show in NZ or SA would point to the terrible start, a line out shambles, Sextonā€™s missed penalty, Porter getting rinsed in a few scrums, Doris dropping the ball, a front row being outpowered and prevented from grounding the ball by a fella a stone or two lighter than him. Not on OTB though - Molloy was at pains to point out it wasnā€™t a choke. No siree.

And he added heā€™d scream the next time someone mentions there is a World Cup quarter final mental hoodoo. That performance, losing by four points in a game that was there for the taking, proves there isnā€™t.

It was just one giant pity party from Molloy, with some fella called Andy Dunne who Iā€™d never heard of.

Made for great radio in fairness.

23 Likes

It has managed to work out that way so far. Hopefully that changes.

When will the draw for 2ā€™27 be made?
Need to make sure we time our run to get best seeding

I guess now that the Rugby World Cup is over for Ireland, itā€™s time to support our rubbish soccer team and the 28 or 29 counties who never win anything in hurling or football.

Have I got that right?

Most of the forum is backing Crokes on Sunday

2 Likes

Youā€™re always going to have young handy players go to these places.

Yes. Whatā€™s your point exactly? We have always done so. Some of ye lads are taking they often valid criticisms of Oirsh rubby the wrong way. Soccer, bogball and stick hurling all get a ton of criticism too, and for often perfectly valid reasons.

Did they have the lad back on who was saying a few of the All Blacks were shit before the match?

Saturday nights match was Virgin Medias highest ever viewership.

Hello Johnny Watterson :wave::wave::wave::wave:

This whole they are not ā€˜representativeā€™ thing is bullshitty enough really. I see Ewan saying 14 of the players dont represent him. Leaving out furlong. Iā€™d be fairly sure a good few of the privately educated lads would come from more similar backgrounds to Ewan than furlong. Where do we draw the line? Sure nearly all gaa players now would be roughly middle class and university educated. Very few from council estates. A lot of the dubs went to private schools. Loads of the gaa greats boarded in jarlaths, flannans, colmans etc

No, it didnā€™t come up.

Another Grand Slam in five monthsā€™ time and Ireland will be the best team in the world again.

Donā€™t lads with potential in community schools get hot housed and offered scholarships for the last 2 years in places like Blackrock and Clongowes?

A lads rugby IQ had developed by that stage, the hot housing would struggle to make it up

1 Like

GT isnā€™t phoning it in. Heā€™s so utterly livid heā€™s barely coherent. It does bring a ray of light to a dark result.

9 Likes

Are any of these lads on the Irish rugby team?

I would contend that Flannanā€™s, Jarksths etc showed how representative the GAA was as youā€™d have boarders who were the sons of wealthy farmers playing next to townies from council estates.

I donā€™t think so for the starting team currently but thereā€™s been a few over the last few years.

Thatā€™s great. Carberry was one of these I think.

Loughman too. Apparently Paul Mescalā€™s brother did the same with Blackrock though he didnā€™t get that far after school.

I donā€™t think St Michaels are producing the number of players that they do without there being talent funnelled through there. Not scholarships but kids who are good at rugby going there for that reason.