Rugby World Cup 2023/ Crochet & Knitting chit chat

I guess my point is that itā€™s a bit disappointing to see how happy being knocked out makes some people. The final will likely be NZ v SA, we beat one in the group and were knocked out by the other. There is very little between Ireland and the other teams in the world top 4 and any of those can beat the others on a given day.

It that isnā€™t good enough for some people, or if they have a problem with rugby then let them support other Ireland teams or sports.

Itā€™s not like we have much success in other international sports. Itā€™s a long time since we thought we were great not losing soccer matches and it brought the country to a standstill, we canā€™t get any decent result these days.

I think the bigger issue is why we went to a World Cup again with aging out half and an undercooked replacement. Fool me once and all that.

Iā€™ll take this one. Because it gave us the best chance at success in the World Cup.

Iā€™m not sure an undercooked replacement aided the chances.

Yeah, 2019 we brought two injured 10s and had to start Carty against Japan which didnā€™t go very well. He hasnā€™t featured for Ireland since.

The problem this time is that JS was still streets ahead of the other options. Didnā€™t he start every game this time?

No. Obviously a world class replacement would have been better. However, that wasnā€™t possible considering both the talent available and that they had to make a hard choice to ditch Carbery.

1 Like

Seeing the state Thornley has made of himself almost makes losing the game worth itā€¦almost.

1 Like

Why was his replacement so undercooked?

1 Like

4 years is a long time to faf about with a replacement for a man they knew would need minding.

1 Like

They gave plenty of opportunities to Carbery (with limited other options). It didnā€™t work out. Such is sport.

Who is his replacement? Crowley was backup on Saturday, Ross Byrne was for other games. Neither got a start.

Frawley never got much of a run at 10 as he picked up some unfortunately timed injuries, Harry B played himself out of contention and Carberry wasnā€™t making Munster squads by the end of the season.

JS had almost zero competition.

1 Like

Ah yeah, nothing wrong with throwing all your eggs into one basket that was malfunctioning from 4 years out.

Hard have competition when he had to play every ā€œtestā€.

Was Keith Earls in St Nessans (as it was) out in Moyross up to 3rd year before Munchins came calling? Or am I doing him a great wrong?

1 Like

We had a lad who was 3rd year last year offered a place in one of those schools mentioned. The promise of senior cup, Ireland schoolsā€¦ He was unsure of it but his Dad forced it through. The word coming back now is that he absolutely hates the place. He would have been recieving AEN (resource) classes in our place but isnt getting them there.

The fall off rate from lads playing after leaving those rugby schools is enormous.

1 Like

Ireland have repeatedly demonstrated their inability to beat any of these teams on the day of a knock out RWC game.

2 Likes

Has he been doing any radio/podcasts? I can imagine him spitting with fury into a microphone. Is that against the head programme still going?

Yeah its basically like that film The Blindside with Sandra Bullock.

The 1 that does must be sexton so. Both mouthy, moany, niggly cunts.

2 Likes

Another thing they have in common is both their careers are over.

3 Likes