Rugby World Cup Memories

definitely warrants a bump
the drowning out of the minutes silence is phenomenal
“and after the crowd has observed that we now proceed with the anthems…”

Amazingly, There are still 4.5 million whites left in SA — just lower than 10% of the population.

Zinzan Brooke no slouch either in the kicking stakes.

Some fucking player he was.

agreed - the country was utterly destroyed post 1994 when the zulus installed a corrupt dictatorship

1999 Ireland vs Australia. Keith Wood leading the Irish in the team huddle in a rendition of the Fields of Athenry, it could have been after half time, singing along with the crowd. Awfully twee

Edit: The Captain’s rousing rendition didn’t work, as Australia routed the Irish in the second half.

I think I remember this game being played in an AIL style rugby ground and that there was a fierce low sun

yeah days would still have been very long in september inside the arctic circle - your point about a low sun is interesting tho that far north - im imagining something like you’d see here during a club championship match in november or a league game in feburary
iirc KO was 11am Irish time

Are you unhappy my people haven’t been ethnically cleansed?

Namibia beat Ireland in both tests on Ireland’s tour of Namibia in 1991. There was a fellow from Portlaoise playing in the second row for Ireland. Just shows how far Irish rugby had evolved by 2007 that Ireland could beat a powerhouse rugby nation like Namibia.

2 Likes

Anyone remember the All Blacks song from 1987? it was sort of like a rap song

Who called Namibia a powerhouse?

Rigney ??

Willie Duggan drives in late for the Ireland training session, parks and strolls over smoking a cigarette:

trainer: “ah for fucks sake Willie, you’re after missing the warmup”

Willie: “it’s okay pal, I had the heater on in the car”

1 Like

Wales get bate by Western Samoa. Possibly John Inverdale prompts the legendary Gareth Edwards with " thoughts after that Gareth ".
Gareth grins wryly before replying " We were lucky we weren’t playing the whole of Samoa ".

That’s a great auld yarn. But I have heard a hundred variations of it in the GAA

1 Like

Watching The Story of Rugby on RTE +1

Very good, especially the archive footage and the political angle

1 Like

Great to see the doyen of rugby writers Stephen Jones on our tv screens

2 Likes

I was at that game.

Only have seen the first two episodes but I thought it was hugely informative. It could have been a brochure type whitewash but actually really seems to delve into some of the social and political forces that shaped the development of the game.

2 Likes

+1, saw the second episode of it (I think) and was very impressed with it. Hope to catch up with it on the Player.