Rugby World Cup Memories

He was a fearsome cunt

Somebody might dig it up here but the French scored a great try in the Semi final to defeat Australia? In the fist world cup. The French had Eric Champ in the back row. Great player.

It’s already on the thread

I’m new to the thread. Its worth throwing up again

As New Zealand players said to each other in the dressing room before the 1995 final

3 Likes

Martyn Williams got one in the WC before against Samoa or Tonga

He wasn’t so good with place kicks

Allan Martin, the Welsh second row was their place kicker for a few years in the mid 70’s.

Peter Brown, the Scotland Number 8 of the late 60’s and early 70’s was their place kicker and famously kicked the last minute conversion at Twickenham in 1971 for a 16-15 Scotland win, their first at Twickenham since 1938.

1 Like

Not too many highlanders in that photo

The Scottish Borders is the heartland of Scottish rugby. Nairn MacEwan who played in the back row for Scotland in that match was actually one of the very few Highlanders to play for Scotland. Not very fertile rugby territory. Shinty country.

1 Like

John Eales could kick pretty well.

Great player. Harsh his missed dropped goal saw them out of HC semi one year I think it was.

1 Like

Ireland coughing up an stoppage time score to lose to Australia in 1991.

3 Likes

Was watching that match with Shane Geoghegan in his nanas top of O’Connell AVE that day. Rip Shane and Kitty

2 Likes

RIP

Geez, may have brought the tone.of discussion down there. Sorry about that. Here, let me tell you this one about cancer…

Hon the Japs

2 Likes

The Chiropractor doing what he did best

Get that into you

1 Like

@Sidney @GeoffreyBoycott
did the “irish” rugby team play a world cup qualifier in Krasnoyarsk against Russia in either 2002 or 2003? - i remember it being in septmeber and coinciding with a European Championship qualifier against the same nation. im pretty sure it was 2002
anything worth recalling from that rugby football game?

ah look some decorum please
it needs to be pre 2007
preferably from the inauguaral competition in 1987 that was a golden age for Rugby football, 1991 or 1995.
2003 is passable - anything newer than that is N/A
Post 2000 rugby took a horrible twist with the onset of the “provinces” and the populism that followed, the inauguration of six nations, the win over scotland and “munster” winning in Toulouse - most proper rugby fans had given up on the sport by 2006…

1 Like