Russia Vs Ukraine (Part 1)

Bad day for the Orcs

1 Like

You are such an example of the overpowering cynicism, decadence yet despair and moral depravity that characterises so much of what is wrong with western society. What a fucking glib response.

I am Irish person with no military training whatsoever. Your response to my well made arguments is to say “fuck off to Kiev” (Kyiv).

Why do you think we employ professional armies?

So, any person in another country who is ever genuinely concerned and alarmed about what is happening in another country, ie. barbaric war, has to “fuck off” to that country or their arguments are somehow not valid?

Sure why talk about it at all in that case? Why talk about anything? Let’s have silence. About every issue. You love censorship, it would be a form of disinformational paradise for you.

How would you suggest I get to Ukraine? You seem to not even be aware that no planes are flying to Ukraine. Where would I go when I reached the border? If I reached Kyiv, where would I go? How I would get my hands on a weapon I do not know how to use? How would the Ukrainians know I wasn’t a saboteur?

This is your crushingly stupid, glib suggestion, all because you can’t handle an argument on the INTERNET.

You claim to be an Irish Republican, and you were of fighting age for well over a decade of the Troubles at least. Did you head up north and join “the movement”? Did you fuck.

You shill for Israel. Take your own advice so and fuck off and join the IDF and start killing Palestinians. If you hated communism so much, why didn’t you fuck off to Cuba and bring it down?

These are not serious suggestions. I’m only using your crude level of trolling “debate” on you about the “causes” you believe in, which are batshit.

3 Likes

The lads who think Trudeau is a tyrant but Putin isn’t won’t like that.

1 Like

Like Putin, you are getting seriously unhinged.

Thankfully we have rational sane people in charge of NATO and the US military. I suspect they are not listening to the input of loons like Piers Morgan who like yourself has been calling all day for “action”. The actions being taken are the correct ones, as we are dealing with a nutcase with 5,500 nuclear warheads. At this stage I would support cutting off all Russian energy imports and I would support giving more offensive weapons to Ukraine, but calling for direct NATO involvement and risking nuclear war is completely irrational.

It’s a desperate situation, but it is also somewhat of our own doing and a complete failure of diplomacy.

I got something similar yesterday. In his defense (sic), it was apparent there was drink on board.

2 Likes

What you have offered there is not an argument.

I asked the question earlier: are we to say that in the future - forever - that any two bit dictator who makes vague threats of nuclear war should be allowed to invade wherever he likes?

If the answer now is yes, the answer forever is yes. That means a world where tyranny dominates, forever.

We might as well get rid of our nukes, so, because if you are going to imply that you would never make even the vaguest threat of using them - if you say that come whatever, you won’t use them, well them some dictator will threaten to use them.

A hypothetical Mexican dictator could threaten nuclear war on the US if he couldn’t invade and annex the country. And you would say, go ahead there chief.

MAD only works if both sides threaten. If only one side threatens, it doesn’t work.

This is also why a multi-polar world with somebody like Putin involved doesn’t work.

Some great military analysis here by Australian Major General Mick Ryan - cc: of @Chucks_Nwoko @Fitzy.

Six days since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began. In the past 24 hours, we have seen limited Russian progress in the north and east, but more in the south. My 6th set of observations, noting there is a long way to go in this campaign. 1/25 (Image via @IAPonomarenko)Image

2/25 Outstanding reporting continues from many sources on the Russian invasion. This includes @KofmanMichael @maxseddon @IAPonomarenko @RALee85 @shashj @DanLamothe @ikhurshudyan @McFaul @DefenceHQ @TheStudyofWar @OrlaGuerin @siobahn_ogrady among many others. Follow them all!

3/25 The war appears to be split between two key areas, and two forms of military maneuver. The north and northeast front on one hand is slow and plodding. The southern front on the other hand seems to featuring more maneuver. This map from @washingtonpost is a useful reference.Image

4/25 In the south, the Russians have almost completed securing a ‘land bridge’ in the south from Russia to Crimea. This would also cut Ukraine off from the Sea of Azov, which will have implications for its economy

5/25 The cities of Kherson and Mariupol are probably surrounded. It is likely these will be the locations of urban combat, which may draw in Russian forces that might otherwise have been used to continue securing other areas in the south.

6/25 At the same time, the Russians continue to commit additional combat forces in the north. According to the latest background briefing at the Pentagon, covered by @danlamonthe, Russia now has committed about '80% of its combat power’ initially arrayed at the Ukrainian border.

7/25 There is an increase in the use of artillery, rockets, thermobaric weapons and air delivered munitions. The recent strikes on the centre of Kharkiv and in Kyiv are probably, sadly, are just the beginning of this more brutal phase of Russian operations.Image

8/25 This is being exacerbated by a greater use of dumb bombs and artillery, and a decline in precision strikes. @DanLamothe covers this in more detail here: washingtonpost.com/national-secur…

9/25 In earlier posts, I have noted that we should see evidence of a revised Russian campaign approach in the next day or so. They have shown the capacity to learn in the past – and failure is a good teacher.

10/25 It is not obvious yet that they are learning. Or at least, not learning enough. I keep waiting for the Russians to change their approach and demonstrate even a medium level of tactical & operational competence. They aren’t. Because of that, this war will be prolonged.Image

11/25 The large military traffic jam (or parking lot) in the north is a great example. The Russians have been fortunate that the Ukrainians have not made them pay a higher price for this massive queue of military power.

40-mile Russian military convoy nears Kyiv Russian forces launched a missile attack on Ukraine’s second-largest city on Tuesday.https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/01/russian-military-convoy-nears-kyiv-00012759

12/25 Why is this? Perhaps the Ukrainians might be running short of precision munitions and are preserving them for higher priority tasks.

13/25 Or, the Russians may have finally sorted out their air defence blanket to include counter drone systems which would make this a hard target against which Ukrainian leaders may not be willing to waste limited UAVs.

14/25 Or it might be just that good military commanders always try to stay out of the way of an enemy making a mistake. Perhaps Ukrainian commanders are happy to sit back to and let the Russians continue tying themselves in knots during this ‘advance’.

15/25 Other evidence to support their tactical and operational shortfalls includes this on their communications. As I have noted, it is a stunning shortfall for a contemporary, combined arms military force.Image

16/25 Not only is it indicative of poor planning and training beforehand, but of professionally corrupt and incompetent military leaders who are literally throwing away the lives of their soldiers.

17/25 This quote from Williamson Murray, therefore, is quite relevant right now. As someone who has dedicated their life to the training, education and leadership of soldiers, it is hard for me to describe Russian military leadership at present as anything other than ‘slovenly’.Image

18/25 So what of the next few days?

19/25 Most analysts have predicted over the previous days that we are entering a more brutal and destructive phase of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. That is now playing out.

20/25 In the south, the Russians may slow their formation of the Russia to Crimea land bridge because their combat forces will be sucked into urban combat in Kherson and Mariupol. However I expect their thrust north from Crimea to continue.

21/25 In the east, the military operations around and inside Kharkiv will continue. If the Russians do capture this city, it may free up some forces for a continued advance to the west and south.

22/25 Together, this could see an encirclement of Ukrainian forces in the east. As write here, Ukrainian military and political leaders will have a big decision to make about this in the short term.

Three big military decisions the Ukrainians will have to make soon We are approaching a critical phase in the Russian conquest of Ukraine.https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/three-big-military-decisions-the-ukrainians-will-have-to-make-soon-20220301-p5a0ly.html

23/25 Kyiv will remain a major draw for Russian combat power and the attention of the world. The #Ukrainians have undertaken significant preparations for what is likely to be a decisive, destructive and extremely bloody battle.

24/25 The ‘Battle of the Cities’ in Ukraine has begun. The outcome of these urban fights will have a major impact on the eventual terms under which war termination takes place.

25/25 My observations, part 5, ends. Thank you to the many followers, old and new, have been reading and sharing these posts. I hope they have provided useful insights.

1 Like

Sorry mate, didn’t realize I had offended you. As you know I am a big fan of yours.

Of course not, but we have been dealing with dictators and despots since the dawn of the nuclear age, many of whom as you well know we created ourselves and kept in power. This is the first time the leader of a great power has gone on such a significant solo run (if you discount Bush/Chaney/Blair in Iraq). We are in uncharted water.

There is evidence the Russian military effort is disfunctional and not going to plan. If we continue to support the Ukrainian military and the war drags on, Putin comes under more and more pressure. Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he meets a swift end any day. The Russian economy is facing complete ruin, can’t imagine that will be tolerable for long.

It’s getting serious lads

Apology accepted.

1 Like

Us Galway lads have to stick together.

Important article:

2 Likes

This war is far from cold, it’s an invasion simple as. Ireland isn’t in NATO. Are you equally happy not to have any significant support if Vlad invades? Genuine question.

No we aren’t. You are sitting happily hundreds of miles away. If it was Ireland you’d be shrieking for help.

Can you imagine getting sucked into an argument on here so much you end up flying to Ukraine to take up arms in world war 3 just to prove a point :rofl:

11 Likes

NATO will not go to war with a nuclear power over the invasion of a non NATO member. They will support Ukraine as they are doing, but an actual military engagement is out of the question.

Yeah but another thread is ruined now by the usual suspects fighting their internet mini war

3 Likes

That’s great. So long as you’re happy to accept it if it’s Ireland.

Is @Cheasty gone?Fair play to him.A modern day Frank Ryan.The 15th international keyboard warriors brigade.