Russia Vs Ukraine (Part 1)

In what way ?

Its always the young who are sent off to die by the old

2 Likes

Easy to send the poor kids

1 Like

@glenshane

1 Like

Interesting interview on radio 4 with the ex head of MI6, albeit he pointedly refused to be drawn on Russian peerages, and the interviewer was absolutely dreadful.

Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

In World War II the average age of a combat soldier was 26. In Vietnam he was 19.

Seriously though, what were Russian soldiers doing carrying their passports? That’s the last thing they would be allowed bring into a war zone.

None of them received a hero’s welcome

They were probably told they were going on their holidays.

2 Likes

Why is that?

Thinking to myself I thought the Israelis would be ideally placed. A strong Air Force. Close enough sea access if the Turks would let them in. Non NATO and they could go in there as a peace keeping force trying to stop another world war. They have the nukes and nobody fucks with the Israelis.

However upon further research it seems they are buddy buddy with the Russians in the Middle East. Allowing them to fly over Syria and basically keep and eye on the Iranians supplying arms to the Hezbollah.

It gets complicated down around there.

How else would they get through security at the airport ?

Ye are all questions this morning.

Just basic common sense not to give away any information to the enemy. I could be pulled up on this but does the Geneva convention state that, name, rank and serial number is all a captured soldier needs to divulge. Or is that just in the movies?

1 Like

Clear to see the lads here who’ve never actually fought in a war.

1 Like

Conscription in Russia for men over 18. Easy cannon fodder

I haven’t a clue pal which is why I asked

Okay, is there a cohort of people on here that have fought in a war? Would you be someone who has fought in a war in the past?

1 Like

Maybe they couldn’t afford dog tags

That’s correct. That’s why we were told in the Naval Reserve in the event of capture by the enemy.

1 Like

Not really. Sending in the kids relies on a series of predictable circumstances, greed, corruption and a failure of diplomacy, humanity and statesmanship. It also relies on politicians, who deliberately ignore both history and moderate voices, to be cheered on by a gullible partisan public who are willing to console themselves with platitudes about sending in the kids, cannon fodder etc. I don’t want to be unnecessarily harsh…some people are just mostly plain stupid
Dont mention any of this though, you’ll be accused of supporting putin.