Russia Vs Ukraine (Part 1)

I don’t see what Putin gains by stopping at the current frontlines of the DNR/LNR.

I don’t see he gains by stopping at the border of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.

I don’t see what he gains by stopping at the so called landbridge to Crimea.

Even if he takes the territory which was part of the failed 2014 GRU Novorossiya operation - which encompasses around 35-40% of Ukraine, including Odessa, and which would landlock the country, the “problem” of the much greater part of Ukraine would still be there and it would be more anti-Russian and pro-western than ever - and Putin denies the existence of a Ukrainian people and Ukraine’s right to statehood.

So logic says he will attempt to install a puppet regime at minimum. He is fixated on Kyiv in the way ISIS were fixated on Spain.

If he has not gone completely nuts, he could try and drag things out and try to strangle Ukraine by other means - ie. keep troops mounted on the border in a constant war posture, and keep mounting cyber warfare, death by white noise essentially - but the longer he does not have boots on the ground in Ukraine, the more weapons will come into Ukraine from the west, and international sympathy for Ukraine will only grow and grow, because Putin is finally becoming at least close to being recognised as the existential threat to the west that he is.

The working assumption should absolutely be a full invasion. We will have to see if that happens.

I’d imagine this article is pretty much on the money…

Harry’s in Kalinagrad used do a lovely carvery.

Ffs it really does. Semi conductor chip shortage has caused savage backlogs in supply chains. I’ve awful issues getting Siemens components in the last 12 months alone. Seeing as the gas needed to produce these is coming from Russia is one issue, the other is a majority of these chips are made in Taiwan. If Russia and China are getting closer its terrible news considering the way China has been open about retaking Taiwan.

I was always more of a bag of chips from Mother Hubbard’s man.

This is an absolute doozy of a thread. Putin was formerly open not just to good relations with NATO, but to good relations with a NATO that contained the Baltic countries and Ukraine.

Given the bleating Putin has made about supposed verbal promises over 30 years ago to a state that no longer exists - the Soviet Union - being a basis for the current day undermining and invasion of states, his own words and his public acceptance of a NATO that includes the Baltic countries and Ukraine should be widely publicised.

Putin is talking through his hole.

This was NEVER about NATO. It was only ever an excuse, a transparent deflection. Putin and Russia chose to make NATO - and Ukraine and Georgia - enemies by being a criminal mafia state which kills its opponents.

1 Like

Pick your side

1 Like

I assume this is partly a reaction by him to Covid in Russia being a mess and also exploiting the energy and other supply chain issues that Covid has caused more widely. He needs a win at home and the West are weak?

If it comes to a war you’d wonder how the Russian hardware will hold up against the newest and brightest US supplied gear.

1 Like

I wouldnt say the west is weak just still in shock after the impact of covid and the approach taken to combat covid. Moving from the biggest crisis in 70 years most of the west want to get back to some normality and stability, that’s the weakness he is seeing imho. A war in Europe is the last thing the west want so he’s playing a strong hand to cover over issues he has at home and taking back what Russians belive is their land will help his support.

Lookit what do I know I’ve pivoted from being a pandemic expert to geopolitical combat expert on the Internet over the last 2 weeks. I could be completely wrong

The Brexit bunch will be tough on Putin and tough on the causes of Putin

5 Likes

Sleepless nights ahead for that cunt

Your auld pal Corbyn was blaming NATO yesterday

1 Like

Jezza would have cleaned London of dirty Ruskie money years ago not like your beloved Tories

The hapless gobshite would have cleaned London of all money.

1 Like

Russia’s disinformation network has massively ramped up anti-Ukrainian propaganda in Poland and it’s mainly coming from the same places that have been spreading anti-vaccine propaganda.

Translation:

:warning: ALERT :warning:
The largest increase in the number of pro-Russian and anti-Ukrainian mentions since the beginning of February 2022 + 500% in the last 24 hours in Polish socialmedia.

Michał Szułdrzyński: Russian propaganda on the web

Yesterday’s fierce anti-vaccines are hitting Ukraine today.

Publication: 22/02/2022 18:17

For the first time, probably at the beginning of February, I drew attention to a new and interesting phenomenon in one of the daily reports prepared by the Institute for Internet and Social Media Research, which runs the Polityka on the Web website. Along with the decline in interest in the topic of the coronavirus, as well as vaccination, IBIMS noted that part of the anti-vaccine movement in the network changes the subject and begins to comment on the potential conflict between Russia and Ukraine. This coincided with the information about the increase in the presence of American troops in Poland and Polish aid to Ukraine. Thus, part of the movement previously generated by anti-vaccine content has been changed to “unequivocally negative” comments about the presence of US troops in Poland and aid to Ukraine.

In the report from February 22, we read that, on the one hand, the Polish network is dominated by negative sentiment towards Russia’s aggressive actions. “However, there has been an increase in the number of entries criticizing sanctions against Russia and helping Ukraine. Often these are accounts that have previously distributed anti-vaccine material and are mechanical in nature. "

The reports of the team at the European Commission dealing with Russian disinformation EUvsDisinfo have spoken of the fact that it is the Russian media that supports the anti-vaccine movements for many months. A year ago, the Wall Street Journal, citing intelligence, claimed Russia was behind disinformation campaigns targeting vaccine manufacturers.

Of course, this does not mean that all anti-vaccine materials were the work of Russian propaganda. Some of them resulted from natural fears and fears, which are natural during the turmoil of a pandemic. However, it was Russian propaganda that provided ready-made answers to these concerns. Especially in the accounts of, for example, Confederation supporters, you can see the anti-Ukrainian increase. Where, until recently, anti-vaccine disinformation was distributed, alleged sanitaryism was fought, there was talk of a “plandemic” and the fact that covid exists only in the media, now we read about the Bandera state, UPA Ukrainians instead of Ukrainians, declarations such as “I do not sympathize with Ukraine” are repeated. , the words of Moscow that Ukraine is not a sovereign state, etc. are noted with satisfaction. There is also criticism of the Polish Church,

Again, it would be an abuse to claim that all anti-Ukrainian content is the work of Russian propaganda. The situation in the East causes natural fears and anxieties. But the content thrown up by Russian propaganda responds perfectly to it.

What is the goal? The same as with previous anti-vaccination campaigns - to divide an already divided society as much as possible. In the present case, there is one more factor: the strong anti-vaccination circles on the Polish Internet, by adopting anti-Ukrainian rhetoric, are able to change the public opinion’s attitude towards Russian aggression. Because if the Ukrainians are so bad, then maybe they deserved this aggression and Putin is not threatening Poland at all, but he is doing it a favor by attacking the enemy who has not settled his account with Volhynia? It is in the Kremlin’s best interest to cause confusion and negative emotions towards Ukrainians, even if it is not directly inspired by the Kremlin.

Contrary to the often repeated thesis on the Vistula River that Poles are immune to Russian propaganda, the disinformation coming straight from the Kremlin is developing very well and very quickly. The ease with which it is possible to enter individual topics and threads using multiple accounts, multiplying the content on Twitter or uploading to many groups on Facebook, makes the algorithms start promoting these posts. The same thing happens in open internet forums. And due to the fact that we increasingly learn about the world from the Internet, disinformation operations are all the easier.

The Russians getting bang for their buck on those South East Asian click farms

1 Like