San Francisco

The gay area is Castro, not Nob Hill.

1 Like

Could have fooled me!

Tfk is a great source for info

Donā€™t rent bikes, cycle across the golden gate to Sausalito, have a lovely lunch, eat an edible cannabis jelly, take the ferry back and have to cycle up one of the busiest streets in San Francisco to return the bikes extremely stoned

Be sure to wear flowers in your hair.

6 Likes

Are you driving between all these places?

Thatā€™s a possibility but my friend is off the road so Iā€™m not sure I want to do all the driving.

Whatever you do donā€™t go to Vegas on 5 May.

Why?

Because Iā€™m planning to go to Vegas on 5 May.

10 Likes

Donā€™t do all that driving, with two weeks you are tight anyway for time. I did a good circuit there in 2ā€™14 so my two cents is.

3 nights max in Vegas, youā€™ll have to go off the strip to find divilment. Cinco de mayo would be good craic there. Mind the max betting or youā€™ll be eating in Taco Bell for the remainder. Get a car and do the Grand Canyon, drop the car off in flagstaff or Phoenix then and fly to San Diego.

In San Diego stay in Pacific beach and go down to the gaslamp district and ride American students. Try go at a weekend, if the padres are in itā€™s a nice few hours watching baseball too, go to Tijuana, coronado and north to the classy suburbs.

Jump in a plane again, avoid LA and the Pacific coast, which while nice, is the sea and Irish people see enough of that. Go to San Fran, definitely do Alcatraz, bike the bridge to Sausalito, go for pints with Labane in Berkeley. But what you have to do is rent a car in SF and drive to Yosemite for two nights, stay in the park, the drive is nice but the scenery out there is outta this world.

1 Like

Have you seen much of the parks? I was going to go to sequioa (spelling?). Iā€™d love to see the giant redwoods.

Heā€™d be better off driving from Vegas to SF, via Death Valley and Yosemite

1 Like

Absolutely, we did the opposite but thatā€™s a lot of driving for one lad.

Went to Stanislaus inyo and Death Valley so I missed that but Iā€™m sure itā€™s worth a trip. But Iā€™d go to Death Valley or Grand Canyon first. Even up into red rock. Or you could do Utah from Vegas if you had a week to spare. Thatā€™s my plan this year.

I did ask in a visitor centre in Yosemite where were the redwoods so big thereā€™s a tunnel through them. Thought that would be a great photo opportunity. I was told they were in far Northern California near Oregon, to my disappointment. Iā€™m a roaster.

2 Likes

San Fran to Portland isnā€™t much further than San Diego Iā€™d say, that would rule out Vegas obviously and itā€™s probably not what the young fellas interested in but thatā€™s a road trip Iā€™d love to take.

Itā€™d be good but youā€™d have to get off the I-5 and crisscross Oregon and California to get a bit of variation, thecoast and crater lake etc. Not sure thereā€™s much to see in Northern California. A great Pacific coast drive though. As Blake pointed out and I did, SF-Yosemite-Death Valley-Vegas-Grand Canyon is the one to do. But youā€™d want to love driving if you had to do all of it.

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep an eye out for a lad with a nap sponsored fanny pack so.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll probably be drinking a latte.

1 Like

Yeah, Utah is unbelievable. Zion is simply breathtaking, I couldā€™ve stayed there a fortnight doing all the hikes. Bryce Canyon is brilliant too.