San Francisco

Heading over in early May for two weeks. Going to take in 3 nights in Vegas while also going to San Diego and San Fran. Nothing booked only the flights at the moment. Any recommendations on where to stay/what to do is most welcome.

Thanks for the heads up, mate.

6 Likes

Fakes tales of San Francisco echo through the air…

2 Likes

There’s a branch of Scotty’s diner in San Fran.

Try and stay near fishermans warf. Rent bikes and cycle over to Sausalito. Get a bag of cans and take ferry back across the bay again. Good day out.

2 Likes

All the way to San Fran to drink cans on a ferry. He could do that from Tarbert FFS.

14 Likes

3 Likes

Book the alcatraz tour now — the one with audio — there’s a big back log / waiting queue for it

1 Like

Is that the prison? That looks brilliant.

1 Like

That’s good advice, right there.

Funny that, I always had you down as having a big mutants head.

It’s a fantastic tour

I’ve never been to the west coast of America

ROASTER ALERT!!!

1 Like

yeah best to book it now alright. Although I got away with it over there. They have standby tickets too that you can buy for afternoon and mornings, but it means waiting around in the hope of getting on a tour if people didnt show. I was fortunate enough that there was only afternoon ones left, but just got in the queue anyway that morning to chance our arms and got on the very next trip. They checked the main booking tickets really well, but didnt bother their hole about the standby ones. I suppose with so many booking in advance, more chance of people not turning up on the day.

1 Like
  • Do the Alcatraz tour, book it far in advance.
  • Visit the Haight-Ashbury area
  • Bike across the Golden Gate, get ferry back from Sausalito. You might squeeze in Lands End and the Presidio if you give it a full day.
  • Pier 39 is very touristy, don’t spend too long there (the seals are cool though).
  • Go to a Giants game, one of the best stadiums in America, tickets for the bleachers are cheap enough.
  • The Mission District is the Mexican part of the city, very cool, the food is sensational.
  • Columbus Avenue is the Italian area, more unreal food. Tony Gemignani’s and Golden Boy are two of the best pizza shops in the world, worth the queue. The area is also associated with the Beat Generation, lots of interesting landmarks around including the City Lights bookshop. Lombard St (the bendy street) isn’t far either.
  • The Palace of Fine Arts is on the way to the Golden Gate, worth stopping off in once you hit the end of the Marina.
  • Chinatown is great, very close to Downtown, so you don’t have to plan to go to it really.
9 Likes

Head down to Monterey for a few nights. It’s spectacular down there. Go hiking on big sur with a few cans instead of on the ferry.

Bring a jumper. It’s very cold until the fog rises every day.

Expect a lot of homelessness and junkies shooting up on the street in San Fran… it’s very different .

If you have time Yosemite is one of the coolest places on earth.

3 Likes