Science

Cant believe it took 18 posts.

Interesting article.

Great series, a little dated but still worth it. Everything you wondered about how the world works

Cool, terrifying video of the evolution of bacteria in response to antibiotics. Video shows a period of just under two weeks wherein the bacteria mutates to the point where it can survive 1000 times the dosage that would have killed the original strain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8

I was reading something a while ago that the US have banned “anti-bacterial” soaps. Said they are no more effective than normal old fashioned soap and are actually contributing to the bacteria becoming resistant.

1 Like

Are phages going to save us?

I have taken about one antibiotic in the last 15 years. I’ll batter the shit out of whatever comes my way. The rest of ye are fucked though

1 Like

Once you don’t need an operation…

The superbugs won’t give a toss about your medical history unfortunately. Given how dangerous it is, the whole issue actually receives relatively little coverage. Several strains of bacteria already exist that are completely resistant to all known antibiotics. Fortunately the people who research this stuff are geniuses but there will are some very scary bugs on the way regardless. Those staph infections that a lot of MMA fighters get are horrifying.

Why are MMA fighters prone to Staph infections?

The hugging, biting and sticking fingers up opponent’s holes.

3 Likes

The wrestling and grappling mats, like they have in jiu-jitsu gyms, are an ideal breeding ground for skin infections. A former UFC guy named Kevin Randleman died from it. Check out the pictures of his infection at your own risk. Horrific.

Would they not wash them down with Dettol or Jeyes fluid every once in a while?

Jeyes fluid doesn’t get it done apparently.

1 Like

:rollseyes:

1 Like

Dear god. The future is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY

@anon7035031

1 Like

I would strongly agree with that. The problem though is the great majority of people have no education or experience in science, so reading and understanding a science paper is not something they are used to. It’s far easier to believe some bullshit they read online, and a lot of people can’t distinguish science from bullshit.

I still stand by what I said that wiki is a good starting point for anyone trying to learn something about a subject they know nothing about. Especially science topics as the articles are by and large written and edited by people who know the subject matter. It’s easy enough to spot the bullshit on wiki.