Second Captains

Jim Abbott played ten years in the major leagues despite having only one arm

There was a fella used to play on the goal for New Ireland when I came to Dublin first who had only one leg. Our hard man full forward Judger rattled into him one day and the false leg fell off. Judger fainted.

19 Likes

Kimmage in flying form on that podcast.

He’s good on the realities of pro sport.

No mention of horse racing. I wonder has he jacked it in.

1 Like

Has he actually successfully uncovered anything in the past 5 years?

A row over at u12 player in a GAA club was about the height of it.

1 Like

Was it not Civil Service?

As one might expect from a lad with one leg playing in goals for a Junior hurling team he was a feckin’ lunatic

No notion but the lance stuff was a career case tbf

He may have ended up there when New Ireland folded but he definitely played for years with NI. Played against them once when I was a young fella and remember being terrified at him roaring at his defence and slapping his hurl against the wooden leg as an intensifier.

Corner back was a Branch man - or so he told me - and he was a right prick; but that’s another story!

1 Like

What podcast? Seconds Captains I assume?

:joy::joy::joy::joy:
My old man played full back for new Irelands for years. They had a different 15 every week

1 Like

The same chap had either severely dyed black hair or a wig. I was never sure which and i never fancied going close enough to check. A fearsome character.

2 Likes

Yes sir

1 Like

I asked another lad who played with them what he was up to. He used to unstrap the prosthetic leg during the game so when people pulled across it in the square, the leg would go flying :grin:. Free out every time.

2 Likes

Kimmage pointing two barrels at off the ball was great fun too

Second Captains podcast hosts share €620,000 payday​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Gilroy wanted a similar bit of action to these figures obviously

2 Likes

The Ciaran Murphy book I purchased fizzled out an awful amount. The Second Last chapter is a 25 page diary of his 2022 club season with the biggest conflict being lads coming back from EP.
He wasted his best years football focusing on his career.

It wasn’t a patch on Christy O’Connors profile of St Joseph’s doora barefield.

What age is Gilroy?

He’s around 50 I’d say

Hard to say really, looks late 40’s but acts about 16

3 Likes

A quick scan of his LinkedIn suggests that he’s 46/47. Did the Leaving in 1995 and had done 6 years rather than 5 so must have availed of TY which I presume was newish at the time.

They could double their subscription and lose nobody.

Incredible value imo.

2 Likes