Self-consciously twee, faux-mystical GAA match scene setters - in association with Sunday Miscellany

that’s truly oustanding

We’re just under 30 minutes away from the 2018 renewal.

You’re a bit of a try hard mate

3 Likes

lovely story there about the pope and the woman who made the pilgrimage to Poland on her 50th birthday

1 Like

It was lovely to hear from #marian stalwart and rugby fan Stephen O’Byrnes to give the twee Limerick perspective on today.

I very much enjoyed Norman Freeman’s endearingly twee tale of listening to the 1956 All-Ireland hurling final on short wave radio on a ship off Somalia.

The story about the two chaps who bankrupted themselves to cut short their holiday in Greece to return to Ireland for the Pope’s visit in 1979, ony for one of them to fall asleep standing in Ballybrit, was a hoot on a certain level and disturbing on another.

ill listen back later to it
can you remember what was the name of the classical / opera show that was on radio 1 after sunday sport at 5-30? on all ireland final day they would open with the county song of the winning team.
now its not Kevin Hock who was on at 7pm
it used to go
2-530 sunday sport
5-30-5-57 (music )
5-58-6-00 angelus
601-605 Nuacht
insert program possibly history show
6-37 23 minutes to 7 sportsnews
7-00 kevin hock

Don’t know, mate. But I can recall the theme music of the 23 minutes to 7 Sports News vividly. It was magnificent, RIP.

I’m sure that’s Kevin Haugh, of The Lyrics Board fame, by the way

Edit: Hough.

Some cork guy presented it. Fionn or Finbarr something?

as good a place as any for this

Welcome to 3 hours ago.

3 Likes

2019 renewal incoming

If there’s wan radio programme you listen chew dis weekend, make it dis wan

The Killenaule Parrrot was magnificently twee

In the same way Kilkenny 2008 raised the bar for hurling to an almost impossibly high level, Leo Cullen has done the same for this genre of twee, meandering storytelling

Like listening to your grandad reading Ireland’s Own aloud while on LSD

We go again.

2022 renewal underway.

I have this book and have read most of it. It’s wonderful. Although the next edition will have to be renamed.

1 Like

An outstanding example of the genre mentioned in the thread title from a Limerick man just now.

“Clare played with demonic zeal, with both teams evincing skills that made a mockery of the conditions.”

“Shakespeare’s line, uneasy lies the head that wears the crown comes to mind.”

“Limerick is not considered cool, so how cool was it to see Hollywood actor Bill Murry and former world number one golfer Adam Scott rocking up to the semi-final in Limerick jerseys.”

“There’s a statue on O’Connell Street called Ruck and Puck, juxtaposing a rugby player and a hurler.”

“If Limerick can win again today, they will erect a monument to Messrs Kiely, Kinnerk and McManus.”

Dreams by The Cranberries played in a jaunty, jazzy way with string sections follows.

Outstanding line there.

“Some time ago I found God. He was standing beside me at a lunch counter in Kilkenny city.”

It was Brian Cody.

This story is the standout of today’s renewal, delving deep into mythology.

“There is a saying that the Irish were playing hurling when the Gods of Greece were young.”

This story was recited by forum favourite and #marian stalwart Stephen O’Byrnes.

In a parallel world, Stephen would be a #marian panellist today shooting the breeze with host about yesterday’s “The Match” and today’s “The Match”.

1 Like

:clap: