Self-consciously twee, faux-mystical GAA match scene setters - in association with Sunday Miscellany

“A load o’ shite”
by Sidney

I hear my alarm go off in my sleep. I am awake, but unconscious, the unconscious begging for more sleep and yet begging to be awoken. This sleep is not like any other sleep. It is the sleep of the night before the All-Ireland final.

The alarm, when it sounds, is not like any other alarm. It is an All-Ireland final alarm. It is not harsh, it is gentle, like a lover’s call, if a lover’s call could be repackaged as a mobile phone alarm. It is 5:40 am.

I rise. Everything is prepared. Clothes on the chair. Food in the fridge. I go for a pee. This is not any pee. This is an All-Ireland final pee. It is energetic, yet tired and erratic in its aim, like that of a Mayo forward.

Downstairs is silent. Ham sandwiches, ones I’ve made earlier, are already wrapped in tinfoil. I’m not unwrapping them now. I open the fridge and take out two slices of ham and put them each in bread, not bothering to butter the slices. Two more for the road, except the road is stationary and in my living room. I boil the kettle. It hisses expectantly, rising in temperature all the while, as if to signify it understands the twee, faux mystical, GAA analogy significance of it doing so for the day that’s in it. It knows, it knows. This is not an ordinary boil of a kettle. This is an All-Ireland final boil of a kettle.

Ham sandwiches and tea consumed, I grab my bag and venture out into the dark. It is 6:10am. Everything is silent. The calm before the storm. It is a knowing calm, a, twee, faux-mystical All-Ireland final calm.

I rustle my hand in the pocket of m coat to check did I bring an orange. I have brought an apple. And a clementine. This is no ordinary clementine. This is an All-Ireland final clementine.

As I pass the junction of the Galway ring road and the N59, I hear the beeping of the pedestrian lights. This is no ordinary beeping. This is an All-Ireland final beeping of pedestrian lights.

I reach the bus station with five minutes to spare and take out my ticket. There are two buses, and the representative from the GoBus coach company tells me I should board the one at the top of the concourse, rather than the one positioned at the regular boarding location three spaces down. This is no regular bus parking position, this is an All-ireland final bus parking position.

I board the bus. There are no inside seats left. I sit down beside somebody, not even bothering to check who they are. There are Mayo and Galway jerseys further back the bus. There are no other Dublin colours on board. This is no ordinary coach bus journey, this is an All-Ireland final coach bus journey.

The bus moves off and I try to close my eyes. I am uncomfortable in my seat, but I am at once comfortable. There is a group of mildly attractive but tarted up middle aged women seated to the left and behind me. I simultaneously try to sleep and listen in to their conversation. They are going to Barcelona. They know nothing of me and where I am going, except for my Dublin jersey, which prompts them to start talking about the All-Ireland final and whether they will try to watch it when they get to Barcelona. This is no ordinary All-Ireland final conversation, it is the All-Ireland final conversation of a group of mildly attractive middle aged women who are not interested in Gaelic football, some of whom have already started drinking wine on the bus.

I think of where they’re going - Dublin Airport, and the throngs of people arriving home for the big match. People from Dublin, people from Mayo, people from every far flung boreen on this island, Protestant areas excepted. I think of the juxtaposition between these group of departing, tipsy, middle aged women attempting to live out their Sex and the City dream and the emigrants returning from London, New York, Sydney, the Cook Islands, Antarctica and Mars for the final. I recite that list of geographical locations in my mind in a Marty Morrissey voice. This will be no ordinary airport juxtaposition. This will be an All-Ireland final airport juxtaposition.

The bus moves along at a steady pace. The dawn starts to break. This is no ordinary run of the mill coach journey. This is no ordinary dawn. It is an All-Ireland final run of the mill coach journey. It is an All-Ireland final dawn.

I drift in and out of faux-sleep. This is no ordinary faux-sleep. It is an All-Ireland final faux-sleep.

The bus passes the bit of the motorway where the M4 merges with it. This is no ordinary motorway junction. It is an All-Ireland final motorway junction.

Dublin beckons me home like a mother gently grasping her baby to her bosom. This is no ordinary bosom. This is an All-Ireland final bosom.

This is no ordinary All-Ireland final. It is an All-Ireland final All-Ireland final.

As spoken by an earnest, faux-poetic Joseph O’Connor soundalike

9 Likes

Bullet points please mate

Any takers for today?

Who’s having a spiritual awakening in the jacks of the motorway services at Enfield about the true significance of today’s events?

Is that flag flying from the car fluttering in the wind in a special, all-knowing way?

Who got a tingle in their spine as they saw the Dublin mountains come into view on the horizon?

Have the selfies been posted yet?

Sign in please, @Phil_Leotardo - you’re usually very good at this sort of stuff.

Please refer to
i) your transport arrangments to Limerick city, if any
ii) whether your Mam is serving you lunch
iii) if so, what sort of lunch your Mam is serving you up with particular reference to sausages and tea,
iv) any final toilet trips before leaving your Mam’s house
v) what clothes you are wearing, with particular reference to any jersey with the word “Shaw’s” on it that you may or may not be wearing
vi) Your transport route to the “Gaelic Grounds” (this will preferably be by foot)
vii) Reference to the condition of the hairs on the back of your neck
viii) Make reference to the smell of any pubs you may be entering.

Feel free to include anything else you may want to include but please try and include all of the above.

4 Likes

You veer between two extremes; self-consciously twee and unconsciously twee.

If I may, I arrived in Wexford at c.8.20pm last night for a family dinner. Please see “Leinster Hurling Championship” thread for details of my Strawberries Three Ways dessert in the Ferrycarrig Hotel.

I’m staying in my parents’ house in Wexford town and my mother provided tea and toast at 10.20am (prior to departing for 11am mass). I’m now awaiting a traditional fry up which I expect to be served at 12.45pm.

We have unreserved stand tickets for the 3pm throw in and my father has displayed consternation about the timing of the fry up as he wanted to commence the 10-minute walk to the park at 12.30pm.

I was a firm advocate of “wacky” / “zany” socks well before those two pricks Trudeau and Varadkar jumped on that bandwagon and I’m not going to change because of them. I’ll therefore be wearing my championship socks:

There’s a bit of rain in Wexford and it’s a little colder than in recent days so I’ll be sporting my Wexford zippy:

Repeal the 8th.

4 Likes

Disappointed to see no copy of the Sindo in your parent’s house, are they boycotting?

My mam passed away when I was 8 you cunt

Not knowing my background I’ll leave you off.

I’ve a tesco meal deal today buddy.

Wearing my usual Polo top. I don’t do jerseys. I’m not 12 anymore

I came down from kildare in the last hour…sailed on fine via castletroy, rhebogue, thomondgate

I hear Ennis road is blocked off and most people are parking in town and walking out

3 Likes

Stirring, atmospheric, thought provoking and daring. Hunter S. Thompson’s heir has been found.

Sorry to hear that, buddy.

Enjoy the Tesco meal deal.

1 Like

Limerick folk - please sign in with your tales of flutterings, stirrings and awakenings in your heart as you pass Barack Obama Plaza.

If those flutterings, stirrings and awakenings occur anywhere else, feel free to refer to those too.

Feel free to refer to the last 45 years flashing through your mind, even if you haven’t existed for all of those 45 years.

Feel free to refer to anything, really.

1 Like

Just back from the standard hotel breakfast there.

Scruffy, hungover, dishevelled - strolled in there in the Limerick polo top, greeting other family members while doing so.

I exchanged polite small talk with the lad serving breakfast - he remarked “it should be a tight game” as he threw me out the sausages, toast and rashers although he was a bit lax with the scrambled egg.

2 Likes

Epic tweeness from Paddy Moran at the start of this programme.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9_10768551_68_03-09-2017_

Sunday Miscellany 3 September 2017
New writing:

Up for the Match, by Paddy Moran

First Days, by Mary O’Donnell

The West’s Awake, by Orlaith Mannion

A Stranger, and You Took Me In, by Conall Hamill

Homewards Across the Bog of Allen, a poem, also by Mary O’Donnell

Soaring Sliotar, by Jack Hanna

Did you go to Flannery’s last night?

Did the DJ play “Dreams” by The Cranberries?

Did the Limerick crowd sing it with more gusto than normal?

Did it somehow feel more poignant, but simultaneously more special and more relevant hearing it this year than in any other year?

1 Like

No mate, I vaguely remember singing some George Ezra song though, I didn’t really know the words but still threw myself into it heartily.

I’ve been riding Shot Gun, underneath the hot sun…

As with all great nights it ended with a deep and meaningful conversation with a taxi driver. A Mayo man as it so happens. He took my twee joke about Keith Higgins needing to stick to the hurling well enough.

1 Like

This 2016 All-Ireland hurling final edition of Sunday Miscellany is the Diego Maradona, Pele, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo combined of tweeness.

It’s the Woodstock, Isle of Wight, Live Aid and Glastonbury combined of tweeness.

I particularly recommend “The Ten All-Time Greatest Tipperary Hit Songs” by Leo Cullen at 20:04, and “All Ireland Hurling Finals” by Paddy Moran at 50:35.

Paddy is the king of this genre.

You’d love this @mickee321.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=b9_10616155_68_04-09-2016_

Sunday Miscellany 4 September 2016
New short essays:

Hurleys and the All Ireland by Norman Freeman

The Ten All-Time Greatest Tipperary Hit Songs by Leo Cullen

Hurling on the Roof of the World by Joe Kearney

Aprés the Match by Mae Leonard

The Statue of Kilkenny by Gerry Moran

All Ireland Hurling Finals by Paddy Moran

As I was walking across the grass area between the City End of Limerick’s Gaelic Grounds and the Ennis Road after the Kerry v Mayo All-Ireland football semi-final replay on August 30th, 2014, I overheard a conversation between two men walking behind me. One was from Limerick and one was from Mayo. They didn’t know each other. The Limerick man said to the Mayo man that he’d been supporting Mayo and was disappointed they lost, as he had a “grá” for the Mayo football team because they reminded him of the Limerick hurling team.

It was a lovely, twee conversation full of empathy, with both men coming across as grimly resigned, but stoic and having a touch of wry, black humour about their respective counties’ predicaments, that they had both accepted that defeat was to always be their lot. I didn’t look back to see what the men looked like as I clambered over the wall onto the Ennis Road, but I imagined that the Limerick man was Henry Martin.

“Hello House Of Pain, meet Unlimited Heartbreak.”

I awoke this championship morning in grim accomodation with a grim banging in my head. My starfish is fluttering from the zaytoon I had on the way home does that count.

In here having the full irish and the cunts wont give me a pint. 12.30 of a sunday…wtf

:roll_eyes: