Server Performance

Starting a new topic just to troubleshoot some recent performance issues. I don’t want to automatically increase our server profile because I did that within the last year and I’m not convinced we need more hardware resources.

Are many people getting the “site is under extreme load” message regularly?

Is it happening to people on desktop and on mobile?

Is it occurring during matches or in general use too?

If it occurs during a match does it only occur on that specific thread or is it for the whole forum?

It would be helpful to get responses from a few people in here, even if it’s repeating what someone else has already said. Also, in particular note any times when the server seems particularly slow for you or you get an error message. Can you say when that happened, and what device you were using?

I amended a few things last week which made no difference it seems. I changed some further settings last night - I threw a few more unicorns* at the problem - so we’ll see if that helps. And there are some code changes coming which should help a bit too.

* this is a real thing.

Saturday night and yesterday was cat.I only post from the phone.

2 Likes

As a new user I have not seen any of the issues you mention.
I always access the site on a mobile phone.

1 Like

Wouldn’t say it’s a recent thing, have seen it intermittently before. Particularly bad during the match yesterday - can’t say if it was just for the AI Thread, or other threads as well. Was mostly able to post but needed to hit Reply a few times to get it to actually post. Using a shmart phone.

1 Like

Issues on the phone and laptop. Its cat when there is a busy thread during a match

2 Likes

Sure lookit,it’s only 4 times a year.Up for the match x2 and the All Ireland final x2

1 Like

Use mobile only(android). Site is fine, only saw that headline message on a couple of occasions but issue was resolved not long after.

1 Like

Android phone, absolute disaster the last few weeks. Automatically logged me out half a dozen times yesterday during the final.

2 Likes

On mobile…kept getting the message yesterday during the match and getting booted out if the AI Final thread… It said I was being logged out but most of the time it just refreshed and sent me back to the main board. I was fully logged out twice.

1 Like

I’m getting it a lot intermittently for at least a few months @Rocko only use mobile really on iPhone.
Hardly a server thing? There’s only 10 of us most of the time.

2 Likes

Yes - all my 26 acccounts have this problem

Yes

Yes

Yes and sometimes

Whole forum

I also have log in problems - I had to change my password from “rockoisruiningtheforum” to “rockoisaruiningruiner” last night just to log in and had to change back to the original password to log in this morning

Seen it a few times recently during matches

Cork vs Kilkenny
Limerick vs Kilkenny
Up for the Match on Saturday night

It did seem to be isolated to those threads though.

It seems to happen when multiple people are posting in the same thread at the same time from what I can see. Only ever use the site on mobile at weekends so no idea if it was there on desktop.

1 Like

It was massive during the football semi finals anyway. On Chrome on a Samsung 8.

Same as. I put it down to Hurling being box-office and the only sport the forum gives a fuck about.

1 Like

Yeah I seen it. That is to say I saw it.

Couple of weeks ago was the first time. Overall maybe 4 or 5 times, twice on me ould fella’s laptop which is not well maintained so I didn’t take notice of it. The other times were on the mobile. Didn’t take note of times I saw it.

2 Likes

How do you maintain a laptop?Where do you change the oil,filters brakes?

I can’t recall seeing this on desktop. I’ve seen it on mobile loads of times. Can/do you split resources by platform?

1 Like

Is the forum running very slowly on those particular times apart from the server load message? So if it took longer to post but the message didn’t appear and you didn’t get logged out, would it be too slow to post or is it manageable?

Seen it a few times recently. Was very bad yesterday during “The Match”. This will need to be sorted in time for the Rugby World Cup Foinal.

2 Likes

The Rose of Tralee is tonight

2 Likes