Shane Supple

Pukey posted this somewhere already, but does anyone know anything about this fella?

SHANE Supple’s last role as an Ipswich Town player was that of the classic goalkeeping hero who saves a vital penalty.

His spot-kick save during the Carling Cup shoot-out against Shrewsbury last week gave the Tractor Boys entry to the next round of the third most important competition in English football.

But as the applause rang in his ears and team-mates and manager congratulated him, the player could not escape a sense that there was more to life than football.

He has said that for quite some time, something has been lacking in his deepest feelings about the game and his career. And that led him to finally take a major step when he walked into Roy Keane’s office and told he boss that he didn’t want to do it any more – any of it.

Didn’t want to be a footballer? But surely every kid who ever laced up a pair of football boots wants to be a professional player? And there’s the rub. Dreams inspire talented youngsters but the basic reality of football is often very different from the high-profile multi-million transfer deals, the fast cars, the glittering lifestyle.

The 22-year-old Dubliner had experienced enough of a footballer’s life and seen through the artificial glamour and hype that is associated with professional soccer.

“All I wanted to do when I was younger was play in the Premier League, but as you grow up, you realise that there are other things in life and, to be honest, the game is not what I thought it was,” he said.

smashing

Former team managers who have worked with him describe Supple in glowing terms as “a smashing lad”, “sound and level headed”, “an excellent goalkeeper” and “superb to work with”, so quitting football is not an impetuous move.

There is no doubt that Ipswich would prefer if Supple remained on their books. When Roy Keane took over near the end of last season, it wasn’t long before he decided he wanted the goalkeeper to figure in his plans, so he gave him a one- year contract in June.

Even then, the player was carefully considering his feelings about football and his career. Just over six years ago he left Dublin to join the Portman Road Academy, and progressed through the ranks. He helped Ipswich win the prestigious FA Youth Cup in season 2004-'05 and made his first-team debut in August 2005, coming on as substitute for then first-team 'keeper Lewis Price.

Since then, Supple has made 38 first- team appearances, but most of his time has been spent as understudy first to Price, and then to Richard Wright.

You could say there’s the problem, lack of first-team football. If it were that simple, Supple could have gone for a transfer or looked to go on loan as he did to Falkirk and Oldham in the past. Roy Keane’s management? Not an issue, he said. In fact, Keane did his best to persuade Supple to stay with the club.

So, what caused Supple to opt out of Ipswich and the game?

He admitted the motivation was not down to one single factor, but was definite about the outcome of his reflections.

“It’s something that I have been thinking about for a long while,” he said on the Ipswich Town website. "It’s obviously a big decision, but I feel that playing professional football is not something I want to continue doing as a career.

“There is no one reason why I have made my decision. There are a number of factors, but deep down my heart is not in the game any more. I’m not going to go into work every day trying to convince myself that it is, so it’s the right time for me to walk away.”

Supple continued: "I want to thank the manager for the support he has given me. He was a bit shocked when I told him, and I expected that, but he understood my reasons. He’s been first-class.

"People probably think I’m crazy, but I’m not going to stay in the game for anyone else. I’m making this decision for myself. I’ve worked with some great people in my time at Ipswich Town and had some great times at the club.

"It’s a fantastic football club and I’ll continue to follow Ipswich’s fortunes. The supporters have been brilliant as well and always backed me and I want to thank them for that wonderful support.

“This is the right decision for me now. I’m going back to Ireland to spend time with my family and look at my options, but they won’t be in football.”

Ipswich Town Chief Executive Simon Clegg said: "On behalf of the club, I would like to put on record our thanks to Shane for his commitment to Ipswich Town both on and off the pitch in his six years at Portman Road.

“It’s obviously disappointing news for us, but we respect Shane’s reasons for wanting a career change and we wish him every success for the future.”

Supple, who won’t turn 23 until May, is still a very young man, albeit mature in many ways, and deserves to be respected for making his own mind up about his current position in life. It’s his choice, his decision.

Roy Keane, of all people, understands and appreciates a man who follows his heart and isn’t afraid to buck the trend.

I would love to know what he plans to do once he comes back to Dublin?

Job market is hardly on his side.

[quote=“Phil Leotardo”]I would love to know what he plans to do once he comes back to Dublin?

Job market is hardly on his side.[/quote]

Perhaps he plans on playing LOI, he’d still be retired from proper football. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the time I dropped out of college. I’m fucking back there now and I think Shane will regret this once he gets a bit older, unless he has something pretty special up his sleeve. 22/23 is no age.

I say fair play, he seems fairly mature. He could get into something he likes and play it as a hobby in the LSL or something. Its not all about money lads.

I always thought it must be hard (mentally) being one of these second choice goalkeepers. You are limited to one spot and that is it. You could go a few seasons without seeing a game. At least if your 3rd choice striker you might get a run on the wing occassionally or be brought on for the last 10 mins here and there, but the sub goalie never gets that luxury.

That said it’s a short enough career and it’s not like being an accountant or whatever where you’ll be doing that job until your 65. He could have plugged away as a keeper until he was 30ish, kept doing night courses or whatever, would have had a reasonable bit of cash behind him and could have pursued whatever he wanted after that.

[quote=“The Runt”]I always thought it must be hard (mentally) being one of these second choice goalkeepers. You are limited to one spot and that is it. You could go a few seasons without seeing a game. At least if your 3rd choice striker you might get a run on the wing occassionally or be brought on for the last 10 mins here and there, but the sub goalie never gets that luxury.

That said it’s a short enough career and it’s not like being an accountant or whatever where you’ll be doing that job until your 65. He could have plugged away as a keeper until he was 30ish, kept doing night courses or whatever, would have had a reasonable bit of cash behind him and could have pursued whatever he wanted after that.[/quote]

But your thinking of the money there Runt. He didn’t want to be unhappy going into work for the next 9 or 10 years. Life is too short for that.

Unfortunately, as many of us can attest, whilst not being “everything” money is a “lot” nonetheless. Very few people are lucky enough to be paid to do what they love doing. In the current economic climate I fear his action may prove to be somewhat short sighted. As the Runt said, he’s only get a few more years out of it anyway and the cash he could set aside would have given him more options than many of us will ever have.

I must say lads i think its sad and fairly shallow that ye would take 9 or 10 years of being unhappy just for a few bob.
He could go to college, won’t be out for a few years anyway, the country could be in better nick, he can have fun with his mates, head off to the states for the summer etc etc.

By the way, i know money is important, i just try to not let it control my life or too many of my decisions.

Well, I just think there is a big chance that in a couple of years he will really regret his decision. The head of a 22 year old isn’t always as clear as they think it is. That said none of us know what is going on in the background either and there could be any kind of issues that are affecting his decision. It’s nobodies place to judge the lad, I was only offering my own viewpoint on it.

I dunno how unhappy you could be really, he could move somewhere and become 1st choice, still pick up a wedge, do night courses, be fit, and healthy, nejoy the dressing room banter, and still come out into the real world in your 30’s ready to crack on.

Considering the global economy, he could easily have picked up that wage for another 12 months.

I’l give him maybe 3 months of working in a meat factory or that and see if he is in love with that.

[quote=“myboyblue”]I dunno how unhappy you could be really, he could move somewhere and become 1st choice, still pick up a wedge, do night courses, be fit, and healthy, nejoy the dressing room banter, and still come out into the real world in your 30’s ready to crack on.

Considering the global economy, he could easily have picked up that wage for another 12 months.[/quote]

Why didn’t you give that opinion when you posted? Waiting for opinion to form again? Muppet. Now over to the Sam thread and show me where i disrespected Tyrone’s gaelic footballers.

Kev, you are a mong. An utter utter mong, but you’re your own mong, so as mongs go, you’re an alright sort of a mong.

This guy seems to have his head screwed on seems very self aware, something most men don’t really get till later in life, at least after 25-26, so i doubt he’ll be working in a meat factory, which of course there is nothing wrong with.

Nice. Thought you might avoid the questions.

Mongy mong mong mong.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

According to the above article he joined Ipswich at 16, so I reckon he only has a junior cert and whatever basic schooling (if any) he got at Ipswich. Now maybe he’s been doing night courses in the mean time but he will find it very difficult to find a decent job in the current climate. An ex-footballer who doesn’t want to stay in football is really limiting his employment options

Supple was soon to be 3rd choice keeper, with Brian Murphy soon to become an Impswich player. Still no reason to back it in though.