Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

1 Like

Doddie Weir has died. RIP.

4 Likes

He hung on for a long time. RIP

2 Likes

Only 52 just the same. MND is a bad yoke as we all know.

An oulā€™ warrior hereabouts Andy McGovern was diagnosed and debilitated with it more than 40 years ago and survives still. He writes historical pieces and has written 2 books all achieved with a foot-pedal system as his hands/arms donā€™t function. He was Leitrim man of the year a few years ago.

That aside the light of Heaven to Doddie, a long battle fought with courage.

17 Likes

A tough tough bastard of a road. God rest him

1 Like

Ah japers.

He fought it valiantly but no escaping that fucking horrible disease.

RIP Doddie, was a real stand up dude.

1 Like

RIP Doddie. One of the good guys. An awful illness.

1 Like

My wifeā€™s cousin was diagnosed with Motor Neuron a couple of months ago. 43 years of age. He has a child on the way.

It is absolutely awful. I spoke to his mother a few weeks back when we visited and she is utterly devastated. Normally you can say something comforting to someone but i wasnā€™t able to.

When you hear people saying ā€˜at least with cancerā€¦ā€™ then you know how bad it is.

RIP Doddie. He gave it a right wallop.

14 Likes

Bill McClaren had a great way of pronouncing Doddieā€™s name. He had a great way of pronouncing lots of names in fairness

4 Likes

Bill McLaren and Eddie Butler.

Two magnificent commentators.

5 Likes

Iā€™m 43. That is beyond awful, itā€™s terrifying. Iā€™m sorry. May his and his familyā€™s journey with him be as kind as possible in the circumstances.

Doddie Weir appeared at the recent Scotland v New Zealand international. For all the kindness and well wishes offered to him, it was a heartbreaking moment.

5 Likes

God Bless him

My mother doesnā€™t believe that he has MN. Has anyone ever lived with it for 40 years?

Have you ever met him, heā€™s an engaging, well-read and erudite individual.
Thereā€™s no doubt but heā€™s got it alright, just that it didnā€™t totally overwhelm him.

2 Likes
1 Like

Theo joins Hans & Karl in the great heist job in the sky :pensive:

3 Likes

Jiang Zemin, leader of China after Tianemin Square aged 96.

2 Likes

The quarterback is toast!

4 Likes

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/1204/1339931-offaly-double-all-ireland-winner-kilmurray-dies-at-72/

:cry: poor Doodie