Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

Must have been terrible for him to be driving along and seeing his mothers car in the field and that awful sinking feeling and desperation. He is probably filled with what ifs. He was trying to do right by his mother but leaving her drive at 94 that late at night 25km was madness. Its not a great road at certain parts and fact farmer who saw the vehicle in his field saw many other vehicles in his field previous says it all.

She was 94 and living on her own, I’d say once her mind was made up there was no turning it. He probably did well to convince her of what he did. But yeah, thats a tough station for any son.

1 Like

You would wonder what merit there is of all these weather warnings and using really hyperbolic language. Take for instance a term used by Evelyn Cusack and language being used in media in general. To who and what purpose does it serve.
I think you can portray a message to stay inside and dont take unnecessary journeys without using terms like weather bomb. It probably gets older generation more fearful, panicked and make decisions they wouldnt ordinarily make.

3 Likes

Absolutely, it would nearly have some people thinking they better get out ‘now’ and get what they need as things are due to be worse.

It’s a term used in meteorology, admittedly it’s not something that affects Ireland too often but what would be the point of denying it?
Extreme weather kills people

A lot of the Indo journalists are the types who’d be rooting in bins outside houses looking for info.

Met Eireann are usually very measured to be fair to them. Its the mainstream media who blow every bit of wind/rain/cold out of all proportion.

2 Likes

Dan McCafferty, lead singer of rock band Nazareth.

2 Likes

Their covers of Love Hurts and This Flight Tonight were excellent.

2 Likes

A brilliant vocalist. I have Hair of the Dog, which is and always will be a classic.

“Red hot mama, velvet charmer. The time’s come to pay your dues.”

1 Like

RIP the best ever Batman

3 Likes

Absolutely a celeb, the definitive voice of the character from animation to gaming.

3 Likes

That cartoon from the early 90s was THE Batman.

2 Likes

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2022/1112/1335743-airport-resident/

Jerry Holland RIP

1 Like

I got talking by chance to Jerry Holland in Murphy’s pub (sadly missed) in High Street in Galway on New Year’s Eve 2014, I had left the hospital for a few pints, my granny was ill, she would die the following day. He was propped up at the bar having a few leisurely pints with his wife, I wouldn’t have recognised him but when he told me he was from Cork I started talking about Cork sport, GAA, rugby etc, and it slipped out that he was who he was, I knew the name and that he had been Munster manager and was Billy’s father. To call him a gent would be an understatement. Talking to him and his wife cheered me up and took me out of myself a lot when I was very down over my granny’s impending passing. So I’m sad to hear of his passing. May he rest in peace.

I don’t care what anybody says, Munster 2000-2008 was special. The passing years only make it feel more special in hindsight.

29 Likes

Agreed on all fronts.

May her campaigning lead to greater reforms in the HSE for the poor women of ireland who were downtrodden with the debilitating disease of cervical cancer. Tony Hoolahan should hang his head in shame. Rest in Peace Vicky.