Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

I remember I had just moved into Clarecastle. It was about 6pm and myself and a lad from Athlone decided to head olinto Powers for a few after work. For whatever reason the topic got to Charlie. This lad was obviously anti and got stuck into it.
Suddenly a voice came from the corner “Remember young man ,Charlie Haughey was the best Taoiseach this country ever had. Now drink your pint and show some respect”

1 Like

Was it God? I bet God was a big fan of Charles J

1 Like

Cool story

You’re replying to someone who sneers at Irish people while praising someone who spent his life pilfering from Irish people.

I think Haughey is one if the very few politicians in this country who has split the opinions in his legacy right down the middle.
I’d say there’s plenty of die hard FFers who would not be enamoured by him

Maggie sent CJ home with his tae in a mug. A fucking takeaway mug as well. I’d imagine an all-comers international coty from around that time would have been epic.

1 Like

I think he was one of the most fascinating men in Irish history, but a complete and utter bollocks.
I’m very sorry to hear of the passimg of Maureen Haughey who was by all accounts a very decent person.

https://youtu.be/GoXYTHlWXvQ

He was wearing a nice shirt anyway

He had a great way about him.

1 Like

The country wasn’t big enough for Charlie. He was destined for a greater role on the World stage

Pennys did a great line in bespoke shirts at the time alright.

Was that Pennys of Paris?

1 Like

I remember sitting in Deanes in Bunclody late one night with about 6 lads, all contemporaries of my Dad, all men I highly redpected. We talked politics and I made my views on Haughey known. “sure what would yoi know about it. You were 10 when all that happened” says one, another rebukes him with " ffs, he was there, alive, awake, any if us could see what that bollocks was doing. But you had to go and vote for him you thick bastard".
We agreed to disagree and it was insisted upon that whiskey would be bought for me. I was a bit sick the next morning.

That never happened.

1 Like

Wexford is blueshirt country, you wouldn’t understand what a man of Haugheys calibre did for this country

2 Likes

You don’t get it.

Charles gave more to the Irish people than the likes of you ever would. You owe him a debt of gratitude you sneering prick.

Fitzy sitting there flaming on home-made porter on paddies day, ten thousand miles away in the colonies, listening to the wolf tones on youtube, full of bitterness

2 Likes

Colin Dexter, author of the Inspector Morse books, has died aged 86.

Media and PR guru, Tom Savage has died.

Condolences to Terry Prone (former COTY winner) and Anton.