Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

My godfather passed away yesterday after a long illness. A truly great man. He used to take me (and his son) to Wexford Park and Croke Park for games when I was a young lad. He taught me how to fly fish, hours spent on the banks of the Slaney in Drumderry, standing behind me gently saying “2 o clock, 2 o clock” so I wouldn’t bring the rod too far back. He was there when I caught my first trout on a fly.
He would be very well known in GAA circles in Wexford, a significant figure in the history of HWH Bunclody. He was well known in car racing circles in Ireland also.
Some man, a really big loss and a huge part of my life. Four very successful sons and lots of grandkids and a wife of probably 60 or so years. They were gas craic with my parents and some other friends. I’m very sad for all of them.

28 Likes

Sorry for your loss. Are you heading home?

1 Like

Unfortunately not. Funeral on now as we speak.

Would you consider saying a prayer for the man?

RIP

A nicely penned tribute to someone who obviously had a profound impact on your life.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss, bro.

1 Like

Cardinal Bernard Law, a deeply evil man, has died aged 86. May he rot in hell.

Ruh roh

One for the “in her day” thread.

She certainly was shaggy back then.

2 Likes

You’d definitely doo her alright.

1 Like

And you would’ve gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky kids :smile:

This movie she was in sounds fucking brilliant.

"She played Kurt Russell’s romantic partner in Disney’s 1971 feature The Barefoot Executive.

That film was about a chimpanzee that could tell which TV shows would be a hit and which would not. "

2 Likes

She would have cut you off at the pass.

A cartoon character folks.

That’s all folks

1 Like

Kind of strange for a kids show, when you think back on it, that Shaggy was stoned the whole time

bravo

It came out the same year as Woodstock,different times!

Stewart Lee has a great auld yarn about Margaret Thatcher and Scooby Doo

1 Like