Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

@mickee321 is a great man for a list of BBC football correspondents, ie. ā€œPat Murphy at the City Groundā€.

Do we have a definitive list of RTE regional sports reporters, ie. Pat McAuliffe was always their man in Pairc Ui Chaoimh or Pairc Ui Rinn.

Martin Kiely is generally the man for the mid-west, ie. Limerick or Clare.

John Fallon often covers games in the Galway area for RTE, doesnā€™t he?

Billy George and Charlie Mulqueen are names I associate strongly with Cork-based RTE sports reportage of yesteryear.

Paddy Oā€™Hara used to do the updates from Casement Park back in the day.

Paddy Hunter does the Northern grounds now

John Oā€™Connor used to cover the South East

Ah yes. A great man to cover an all-Ulster Saturday night Division 1 league game. Tyrone v Monaghan in Omagh or Castleblayney is his territory.

George Jackson was always at the Brandywell talking about Pasquel Vaudequin
John O Connor at Kilcohan Park
Philip Green at Haroldā€™s Cross on a Sunday for the 3-30 KO between Shels and Pats - Mark Ennis would get a goal and you;d have it on in the car on the way home from a Royal Liver league game

1 Like

Greg Allen was always the man CC @Bandage for the Portuguese Open at Estoril, the irish x country championships or a hockey game between Cork COI and Hermes
he was at the irish short course swimming championships yesterday.
I must say en route to Tallaght a few Fridayā€™s ago he was in conversation on 2FM with David Gillick about the European Indoors - the man has outstanding knowledgeā€¦ on the other side on OTB you had the new age of sports radio with John ā€œJohnnyā€ Wardā€¦

1 Like

i feel very down over Pat
Heā€™s a cork icon like Paul the linesman who was always on duty in the park
a incredible knowledge of LOI football also- i associate him with when CObh were in the Premier Division in the 88/89 season with ALex Ludzic in goal and Terry Kearns banging them in
RIP Pat

4 Likes

George Jackson from the Brandywell

Had a great oul jaw with him below at the the 2014 Munster Hurling Final - the last game in the PƔirc.

As sound as a trout. RIP.

I attended a Galway United-Cobh Ramblers game at Terryland Park during the 88/89 season. It was early in the new year, maybe January 2nd or 3rd. Iā€™m pretty sure Cobh won 1-0. Big Seamus McDonagh was the Galway United player-manager and was roaring his head off at the rest of the team from the edge of his box - he had the demeanour of a very unhappy man. This is the only Cobh Ramblers game Iā€™ve ever attended.

Mike McCartney* is usually from somewhere up West or thereabouts

*He told me before that his real surname is not McCartney. Itā€™s a name from his pirate radio days and he was a Beatles fan

I was reading earlier that Pat McAuliffe himself used a pseudonym when he worked in pirate radio during the 1980s. ā€œIan Mooresā€ I think it was.

Frank Mitchell of UTV ā€œEnd to Endā€ GAA show fame is really Frank McClory.

Chris Barry of FM104/98FM phone in show fame is Ciaran Gaffney.

Dusty Rhodes isnā€™t actually Dusty Rhodes.

John Peel was actually John something else.

Niall Boylan is actually a cunt.

2 Likes

Ravenscroft

Iā€™m pretty sure Rick Oā€™Shea isnā€™t actually Rick Oā€™Shea. He deflects the question any time heā€™s asked about it, though Iā€™ve never heard him being asked about it.

Heā€™s Paul something or another

Paul Crossan according to wiki

1 Like

Tony Fenton was born Tony Fagan

I think weā€™ve discussed all this in a previous thread chaps