Sinn Fein - Populism and Partionism

It won’t cost them a vote .

1 Like

They did make a big virtue of it at the time - even though it wasn’t saving the state a penny. They were a lot quieter when they abandoned it over the last couple of years. I’d say quite a few voters had it in their head from before that SF reps were on the average industrial wage.

1 Like

:smiley:

They did yeah … It was just behind houses, health, pensions, childcare and Irish unity on the list of reasons why they voted.

5 Likes

Very disappoint subterfuge.

The did but it meant little .

They never really took it anyway did they? Liadh Ni Riada got caught out about it in the presidential election

I didn’t think it was ever about saving the state money - the idea was that to serve the average voter you should be living in a manner similar to them rather than on a salary multiple times that of those you are to represent. I’m fairly sure the MLAs still do that, with the remainder of their salary going to the party.

1 Like

If anything it’s a string in their bow and shows how unsustainable it is for low income workers to survive on their salary.

2 Likes

I’d agree with that - don’t think it was a factor at all or certainly a very small factor

Does anyone know if the likes of PBP/AAA/Solidarity/Rise do the average industrial wage thing?

You’re dead right - that’s exactly what it was meant to be about.

It was a perfectly feasible thing to do 20 years ago but it’s increasingly difficult now, it’s probably the very reason for their massive increase in votes.

IIRC didn’t Pearce Doherty get in a bit of hot water for taking one of his TD allowances and using it to fund the wages of a part time party worker. Think he was cleared of any wrong doing in the end

They could gave used the extra money to found terrorism or maybe pay off some more rape victims.

SF are so deep in your brain it’s affecting your ability to spell.

2 Likes

He’s having a complete meltdown

Cop on kid

You have to look at the positives. The election of so many Shinners has taken around 25 people off the dole and now they’re high earners.

16 Likes

I just hope the likes of the Tipp SF TD stops signing on.

Jesus, imagine the field day if the media put half the effort they expended on investigating the shinners into investigating the scandals of FFGLAB that are in plain sight

1 Like