Sir Andy Murray

The great man’s on court later tonight. Last up on Arthur Ashe when this Serena Williams match finishes. I might stay up and provides updates for the many tennis lovers who spend the nightshift on here.

Murray brushed Wawrinka aside in straight sets. Into the quarters now and the lad he’s playing, Del Potro, has won his last 4 tournaments according to BBC. Should be a test and Nadal will no doubt be waiting in the semis. Don’t think he’ll be able to overcome Rafa.

I’d never heard of del Potro until he went on this winning streak and I’ve never seen him play. Should be a good game but I hope Murray wins to get another crack at Nadal. Hardcourts are Murray’s best chance of ever winning a grand slam in my opinion so this is a real opportunity for him.

Murray/Del Potro is on 3rd on the Arthur Ashe court after womens’ doubles and womens’ singles matches. Play starts at 17.30 (Wexford Park time) so Murray will be on around 20.00. Very, very nervous here.

This has just started. They know and hate each other from their junior days. Should be good.

Murray 3-0 Del Potro. This cunt is 6 foot 6 inches tall and has a booming forehand. You can already tell he’ll overpower Murray if he goes toe-to-toe with him. So Murray’s moving him all over the court, taking the pace off the ball, throwing in loads of sliced backhands and keeping the ball low and the big lanky dick doesn’t know what to do. Class from Murray so far with the early break in the bag but he needs to make sure he keeps this high level throughout rather than having one of his customary lapses mid-match.

Fooking hell. I mentioned Murray needing to avoid having his usual mid-match lapse - well he went and had a mid-first set lapse and was broken twice in succession to go from 4-1 up to 4-5 down, with Del Potro serving for the set. However, Murray broke back to level at 5-5 and, after the next 2 games went on serve, Murray just won the tie-break 7-2. The key point came at 3-2 when it was on serve - Murray played this superlative drop shot to win the point, get the mini-break and he kicked on from there. That’s it Murray - show this cunt The Falklands wasn’t a fluke.

Murray breaks to lead 6-5 in the second. Yeeeeeeeessssssssss!

Del Potro breaks back. Nooooooooooo!

Murray wins the tie-break 7-1. Yeeeeeeessssssss!

Awesome sport taking place right here.

That was absolutely fooking epic. What guts from Del Potro but Murray was sensational again. He was 2 sets up and cruising at 3-1 in the third after breaking Del Potro. It would have been pretty easy for the 19-year old kid to throw in the towel and take his medicine at that stage, especially seeing as he was getting treatment for a knee injury from early on.

But the cunt simply refused to lie down and broke back only for Murray to go 15-40 ahead on Del Potro’s serve at 3-4. However, Del Potro pulled the game out of the bag with some spellbinding shots and the late night New York crowd were going apeshit when he levelled it at 4-4. And there was more to come from him despite being visibly in pain. He incredibly reeled off 5 games on the spin (breaking Murray twice more) to take the third set 6-4 and forge into a 2-0 lead in the fourth.

And this is why I fooking love Murray. Yer man was creaming winners off both sides, firing in aces and chasing down lost causes but Murray, despite teetering on the edge for a while, simply refused to buckle and then came roaring back. He eventually held his serve at 1-2 and then broke Del Potro to level at 2-2. Murray then saved a shit load of break points in the next game and DP held too to bring it back to 3-3. DP then convincingly broke Murray to go 4-3 ahead and it looked odds on to go to a 5th set. But Murray came storming back and broke him again. One of the rallies in this game was one of the best I’ve seen since Karl ‘Burgers’ Smith played Noel ‘Peanut’ Cash in The Wexford Open in 1996. Incredible stuff. And the crowd on the Arthur Ashe court under the lights were going mental.

Then they both held serve to move us along to 5-5. The next game was fooking fantastic and had some astounding shots from both players before Murray eventually held after a shitload of deuces. It went on for absolute ages and DP was in bits at this stage with his injured knee and cramp but the two of them were going hell for leather and coming up with some amazing shots. And then after the changeover Murray broke to win the set 7-5 and the match by 3 sets to 1 after exactly 4 hours of classic tennis.

Murray’s a legend and my favourite tennis player to come out of these islands since Owen Casey.

del porto is some size of a lad for 19…he bust into tears during his press conference…

Yikes

Murray versus Nadal now. Oh yes.

Here’s why Murray and Del Potro hate each other. From The Rome Masters earlier this summer. I think DP says to Murray, ‘You and your mother!’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muM-UQc_Tnk

Roddick/Djokovic tonight and these two hate each other too.

A lovely picture from 2004 of a young Andy Murray and Aiden McGeady:

[quote=“Bandage”]Murray versus Nadal now. Oh yes.

Here’s why Murray and Del Potro hate each other. From The Rome Masters earlier this summer. I think DP says to Murray, ‘You and your mother!’

[/quote]

I think he says to Murray:

You’re always the same. Just like your mother!

Murray against Nadal is on now. Murray two sets up but Nadal has just broken him in the third.

Play suspended

Came home to watch this. Greg Rusedski just said Murray has played the best tennis of his life tonight. Not sure who the rain delay will benefit most. If Nadal was threatening a comeback after breaking early in the third set then maybe it will allow Murray to compose and steel himself again. Equally, if Murray’s been playing as well as reports suggest then it might have suited him better to continue.