The 6 Nations 2024

If you look a back at it, Ireland won every which way in the 6 nations. Played the Welsh off the pitch in the opening game. Everyone was expecting a huge turnaround in form due to Gatland but after 20 mins they were practically home and hosed.
Took the French on and told them they were going to test their fitness. And they did and succeeded. To an extent they have put huge doubts in the French minds. France should have seen a red card in that game too.
Gave some of the panel a start or a run out v Italy.
Took on and resoundly beat the best scotish team in 25 years on their home patch. Overcame a load of injuries at the same time.
Played an England team with all the expectations on their shoulders and while they stuttered they came through in the end. England were playing with a free shot and for nothing more than pride.
I think the French have more concerns than Ireland after this tournament. Their fitness is suspect. So is their defence. They shipped 4 tries to a rag order Welsh team yesterday and they were fortunate no to go down to 14 again yesterday. Another shoddy call by an official. They need to sort their discipline or they won’t get beyond a semi final let alone win it.
People question Lowes defence but Penauds is worse. He melts off tackles and did so again yesterday. For all his brilliance on attack it’s that area that will be what he gets judged on in the World Cup. Plus I think the home crowd expectations will weigh very heavy on them. I think NZ will blitz them in the group game.

Ireland also have really decent depth over most of the team too.

They do, and 35 lads played in this tournament with a few more that could come into the reckoning.

I am not saying they will win it but o would be as sold in France as some. I think the French are the ones after peaking.

So was Graham Henry.

The Welch only turned up for the French game. Everyone knows why. I wouldn’t read much into it. Scotland have a good first XV, but that’s it. France were France, slow start and grew into it, England are absolutely rubbish, without doubt the dimmest player base and management and boardroom teams in world rugby all under one roof, Italy have improved but still lost every single game. You can only beat what is in front of you, but I’d not read too much into it. Honestly, the six Nations is for boozy lunches and half sleeping. I was reared on it, being brought to Lansdowne road as a lad my my oul fella who used be a high calibre front row (played hooker for a well known pale based rubby university). I remember getting told off by him for booing when England ran out at Lansdowne the first time I went. “you don’t boo, you clap” I remember the words crystal clear. They were great days, up on the train, dragged around pubs in town as he met his old uni mates, given money to go to McDonalds, then often to a corporate function at the shelbourne (free bar), where we’d hoover more grub and fizzy drinks than we’d ever see in the rest of the year. Upjohn pharmaceuticals it was one year I remember. I always thought they’d never let the likes of us in, but the oul.lad would always be well dressed, up to the door, xxxx xxxxxxx, Galway he’d say, a handshake and in we’d go. “How do you know them dad?” “I don’t, but these things are done on trust”
Rugby, then back to the pub across the road from the station. I remember them sending us across to check in the train wan time. It was pulling out. My pal went up to the train guard, and said our dads were across the road in the pub. Well run and get them and I’ll hold the train, and they did. Got let on through the guard’s van because all the doors were locked. Playing poker then on the way down and a sing song. Smoke filling the carriage. Halcyon days.
Anyhow, I’ve not much interest in the 6 nations anymore nor the grand slam. My oul fella can’t even get tickets since he retired. It felt a minority sport back then really. Lansdowne capacity was about 33000 iirc, and you’d get tickets no bother on the day.
I often think that the atmosphere at croker on big match day is exactly half way between the rubby and the EPL. Not in any way dangerous, but enough drinking and edge to make it slightly less urbane than the old days at Lansdowne.
I prefer the games against the SH and the WC. I love Edinburgh for the 6N though. Never been to the Aviva as couldn’t get tickets, Cardiff is a dump (the millennium is a lovely stadium though), Twickenham is absolutely dreary. Not been to Paris. Rome is epic, but it is anyway.

10 Likes

Here’s what I’ve long since thought fwiw. The Irish players, due entirely to the relative excellence of the system, are the best prepared and rested and conditioned group for every six Nations, as their club rugby game time is monitored and limited. Other countries players are being flogged by the clubs.
At the RWC, it’s the one time where all sides are equally rested and conditioned. It’s why we’ve tended to “underperform” at the RWC. I don’t think we have, we’ve been desperately unlucky on occasion, and until now the squad depth has been a bit thin, but in fact we are playing against sides who’s players have had a bit of a break for a few weeks.

2 Likes

Old Lansdowne’s capacity was 49k. Smaller for football, 36k I think.

It was easier to get tickets but still got good crowds. Tickets became harder to source once clubs starting using them as a fundraising exercise.

Lovely piece I posted a few weeks ago from the Guardian a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

Agreed

I didn’t watch any of France v Wales but France led 34-7 having got a bonus point and clearly took their foot off the gas. Plus Gatty seems to have got some sort of a tune out of Wales the last couple of matches, they were better by the end of the tournament than at the start of it. Still wouldn’t completely write off Wales reaching a third World Cup semi-final under Gatty’s tenure, though they’d be hockeyed if they get there.

The last two World Cup finals France reached were 2011 and 1999. They were shit in both those Six Nations. They weren’t shit in this one and they’ve way more to come. I didn’t watch any of any of Ireland v France but it was obvious to me France were holding a lot back in that match. I don’t understand how anybody could think they have peaked. Winning the Six Nations this year was an afterthought to them and they’re only just coming into prime age profile.

That’s oddball behaviour to video him like that.

My sentiment exactly

1 Like

Old Lansdowne capacity fluctuated due to the terraces. Fake tickets worked well for them.

I think @Bandage once made the point that the attritional schedule that players for other countries have on a regular basis can actually end up being a benefit to them at a World Cup when pre-tournament preparation is on a more level playing field and the games come thick and fast in the tournament itself.

Going back over the last five World Cups, it’s been a catalogue of some misfortune but mostly not being good enough when it counted.

In 2003 Ireland were unlucky in that their schedule was terrible and they had to play Argentina and Australia in their final two group games. They went full tilt in both of those and were thus fodder for the French in the quarter-final. Though all things being equal France probably would have beaten them anyway.

2007 was a fuck up of truly remarkable proportions, an utter humiliation, Keystone Cops stuff.

2011 there were no excuses. An overconfident Ireland were beaten by a better team.

2015 Ireland again threw all their eggs into the final group match against France, and ended up losing their four best players to injury or suspension. Again it was predictable they’d be picked off in the quarter-final by a fresher opponent.

In 2019 they were found out by England in the first Six Nations match and the whole show collapsed from there, almost 2007 style.

Sorry, what now? If you didn’t watch a lick of it how did you come to that conclusion?
Because they lost?

A blind man could see it

Six Nations sense

I think you’re spoofing pal.

That sounds like the type of astute comment I’m renowned for.

A question for the rubby lads. What ever happened that Jordan Larmour chap that burst onto the scene at fullback a few years back? Did he not turn out to be international class or has he been injured?

I find you often learn more about rugby by not watching it.

1 Like