Soccer Tactics Thread

Keane is right in what he said. No matter what system you’ve got implemented, the desire to close down the ball and block a shot has to come from the individual. Both Darmian and Shaw were at fault for the respective goals. They didn’t want to get hit by the ball. It’s that simple. The only choice left to the attacker on both occasions was a shot. Both defenders hung a leg at best. Not good enough.

The statistics he uses are interesting enough alright. Especially the passing ones. It’s some evolution.

Maybe we are just old school mate.

I think a defenders first instinct should always be to close down the danger, as you said the man with the ball about to shoot. The modern defenders backs off, his first instinct is to back off. Allow the shot. It’s mad stuff.

Soccer hipster alert here . If players don’t work then forget about it tbh

it’s a good effort to be fair to the guy. He’s gone 10 years back in the stats to try and defend the lazy fuckers.

Any system in any field sport requires hard work . The Lk hurlers system for example would break down if one player slackened.

Collective work is perhaps the point, you couldn’t argue United players work in cohesion with each other.

The ball went through a small gap in Shaw’s legs didn’t it? I don’t think not wanting to get hit by the ball came into it

it’s a desire to defend mate.

As collective as you want to be. At certain stages you’ll have a situation where you need to put your body on the line.

Few defenders have a desire to defend these days.

You are defending your goal. Not a man at the back post. Get your body between the goal and the ball.

he turned his arse mate.

United seem a bit of a shambles tbh . I will be surprised if OGS will be there in 18 months .

1 Like

I’d be shocked if he’s there in 2020

You’ve it figured out already, I don’t know why Ken bothers writing these articles.

No he didn’t turn his arse to it, watch it again

Darmian could/should have made a bigger effort I agree though I find it hard to believe any professional footballer doesn’t try because they don’t want to get hit by the ball

It’s all about, as John Giles would say “Honesty of effort”

Ken thoroughly enjoyed his LOI experience the other night

@tazdedub

He’s a Murderpool fan with a laptop. Think he’s using Keane and Manchester United as cover to laud Klopp’s running around like maniacs in zones system.

2 Likes

Looks like lads here would prefer to see defenders running around like headless chickens diving in here and there rather than form part of a disciplined unit. I suppose that’s why the likes of Pep gets the big bucks and the lads here are bashing away at keyboards on their tea break.

6 Likes

you can see his number mate. Awful defending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycde9OL4m98

Lads criticizing Klopp and Guardiola systems that are delivering points totals in the 90s in the most competitive league in the world.

You cannot make it up.

Same lads probably go mad about zonal defending of corners and argue to put a man on the posts.

:laughing: You can see his number alright, but the ball is in the back of the net by that stage. You can argue it was bad defending alright, it clearly wasn’t him trying not to get hit by the ball though