Football Trivia

Mido Escobar.

Heā€™s only 34!!!

Thereā€™s a handy nice post in that for you if you go quick.

Should read MIDOS

Wow great question. I thought they drew 1-1 with Sweden in that campaign? Have a vague memory of a guy called Johnny Ekstrom scoring against them, must have been different match though.

christ . I suppose in 1982 he was a kid so joined after qualifying . 86 they qualified as winner 1990 host ; 1994 ??

Arrigo Sacchi dropped him during his tenure as manager (1991-1996) and he wasnā€™t seen on the international stage for another seven years and in 1998 Bergomi was a late and surprising addition to Cesare Maldiniā€™s World Cup squad at the age of 34.

1 Like

Last English player to make their debut in a World Cup finals match.

Walcott?

Stephen Warnock made the 2010 WC squad but i donā€™t think he played

Incorrect x2

Paul Parker?

I know the answer but cheated. But I know why the question, and more pertinently, the answer, came to your mind.

Ben Foster/Scott Carson?

Fair play. Alan ā€œSnifferā€ Clarke it is. One of the famous five footballing Clarke brothers the youngest of whom Wayne scored the last penalty Everton were awarded at Anfield before today.

ā€œSnifferā€ is one of the great football nicknames. Heino Cup-winning Ulster rugby hooker Allen Clarke later had the same nickname. Iā€™m surprised Liverpool supporters didnā€™t give Robbie Fowler the same nickname.

Wayne Clarke scored a few crucial goals on the run-in when Everton won the league in 1987 after being signed around January or February of that season. The second half of that 86/87 season was my formative football experience.

Liverpool beating Everton in April '87 live on Sports Stadium was one of the many memorable derbies of the time, which had everything - Liverpool won 3-1 and Ian Rush scored twice. Kevin Sheedy banged in a ridiculously good free kick to equalise at 1-1 and then gave the two fingers to the Kop.

Clarke then denied Liverpool the outright record for the longest unbeaten start to a league season when he scored the winner in a 1-0 Everton victory at Goodison in March '88. Liverpoolā€™s 29 matches unbeaten from the start of the 87/88 season was the same number that Allan Clarkeā€™s Leeds team achieved in the 73/74 season.

Clarke followed up that penalty in the December 1988 match at Anfield with a perfectly good goal from a header, which was disallowed.

He was left out of the squad for the FA Cup final against Liverpool later that season. The man who was named on the bench ahead of him, Stuart McCall, scored two goals.

I donā€™t think Clarke ever played for Everton again after that.

1 Like

Name two European players who played both a competitive senior international and a club game for Bayern Munich on the same day.

Some Danish lad

Jorge Campos

He could well have done. Iā€™m amending the question.

The other was a German chap, think it was against Ireland during the Eoin Hand era as it was mentioned in the build up to the Ireland Denmark game, possibly on here.