Some Changes Afoot

Following on from recent successes

(1. seamless upgrade
2. reintroduction of instant chat
3. skin issues on IE 8 fixed
4. mobile fix for Nokia phones)

Iā€™ve now gone and fixed most/all of the old media tags that were lying around with old tags. They should hopefully now all link to the relevant video. :clap:

The search facility isnā€™t working right at all.

Whatā€™s the issue exactly?

Ah it was just working a lot better on the old forum. A lot of times if you type something with a couple of words nothing comes up. Search results donā€™t seem to come up in chronological order either. Is it possible as well to look or individual posts on the search function anymore?

Like I said, it just semed to be easier to use on the old forum.

If you click the gear/wheel icon beside search you get more advanced search options.

If you go to search when you are in thread it will only search within that thread, and sometimes it seems to show the results for ā€œHelp filesā€ instead of ā€œForumsā€. Iā€™ve been caught out by that a few times, but in general the search thing seems to work ok.

Search was upgraded a month or so ago to improve the functionality. The results are in chronological order of the last occurrence of the search term, but the dates shown in the results are the dates of the last post.

So if you search for ā€œsoccerā€ it will show all the threads that mention soccer and display them with the most recent mention of soccer first. But the last post dates on the right hand side are the dates that there was a post last on that thread.

Probably a bit confusing but the functionality is as youā€™d expect.

To see the results as posts instead of threads you can use the advanced search

and thereā€™s a setting for it there. I can probably allow users to change the search style themselves if itā€™s a help.

Yeah I forgot about that setting which is a change too. You can change the dropdown any time to change it to Forums or this forum or this topic etc but it defaults to searching in the forum/thread etc that youā€™re in.

A quick check with The Dunph and it looks like thatā€™s now fixed too.

Are you sure it was the Dunph?
There was a lot of false representations going on in the Dog Chatroom last night. My good name was being dragged through the mud.

He double-checked it with me alright and itā€™s all systems go now.

You were talking some shit last night, Runterson.

He was sitting here beside me when I fixed it.

I just got an on screen pop up telling me

ā€œTFK NFL pickem competition up and running at www.thefreekick.com/pickem Register with same username/password.ā€

But the web address doesnā€™t work?

It does now, sorry. Iā€™ve change the announcement popup. Should be www.thefreekick.com/phppickem

Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m signing in to but it doesnā€™t accept the same username and password as the forum.

This is like the fantasy football all over again Rocko :rolleyes:

You need to register. Thought that was clear from the announcement no?

:huh: :blink: :smiley: :unsure:

Tried to make it more obvious by changing the login message.

Good stuff, itā€™ll benefit people like me who only half read messages.

On the search function, I know you canā€™t search for 3 letter words on their own but is there anyway to allow them when they are enclosed within quotes?

Like at the moment itā€™s not possible to search for the phrase ā€œfriend of the forumā€ because of ā€œofā€ and ā€œtheā€ being too short.

Now thatā€™s an issue alright I think. Iā€™ll see if I can change it but Iā€™ve seen it complained about on support forums elsewhere so might need a fix from forum providers.