Sport and money

Has it all just peaked because of money. I think it’s gone out of all control.

Golf is finished. Players getting paid to pay less.

Jumps racing is ruined because of it. Flat meh.

Inter county gaa is very uncompetitive now. You need huge backing to compete. Only a couple of counties realistically can compete.

Club soccer is ruined. Champions league is so boring.

International soccer not too bad but they are ruining the World Cup with a silly format.

Rugby is finished. Traditional teams like wales can’t compete anymore and have given up. Club game is ruined too. Too few can compete.

Nfl is ok thanks their caps. Don’t know much about Olympic sports or basketball/baseball.

Boxing is all out in the Middle East now and no real matches up we want to see.

Maybe it’ll all change again but I’m not sure. It’s such a pity in my opinion.

5 Likes

real football fans coming back to LOI now, the more corrupt & money driven top football is, instead of people being wowed by it, they are going back to proper football which is great

you still get dunces like @Aertel220 & footix like @caulifloweredneanderthal though

in terms of bogball, the fact that 1 county has 1/4 of the population and keeps winning ruins it - are there 2 Dublin games worth watching every year? looks like they won the quarter & semi finals easily enough last season

4 Likes

Every sport seems to be pushing longer seasons and that increases the impact money has on the results.

The big worry for Gaelic football is Kerry’s “tradition” isn’t even keeping them competitive with Dublin. Not sure that’s a good thing.

1 Like

its not tbh

Not to fear, Miguel is here

Yeah there’s a big bubble ready to burst…. Too much sports on tv… it’s a vicious circle… like a snake eating itself

2 Likes

Why would you bother going to a premier league match anymore…. Ticket prices are astronomical and if your lucky to get one you’ll be sitting at the other side of the stadium from anyone you’ve gone with

4 Likes

i know a guy that paid 500 each for 2 tickets to see Liverpool vs Luton

2 Likes

There’s a lack of personalities playing too.

Sport science and stats have ruined it. Soccer players wont even shoot from outside the box anymore.

1 Like

Now that is mental… klopps long goodbye reflecting the ticket prices I suppose …
I was at Real Madrid a few weeks back… we had to que for 4 hrs at the box office on the morning of the match for the privalage of paying €125 per ticket and all seated separately which was actually cheap in comparison. Twas like running the gauntlet with the fights in the que because lads were skipping. Don’t get me wrong twas a great experience being at the game but not a hope would i do it again

There isn’t a bubble waiting to burst. The world of spectator sport is made up of many different bubbles, not one. Some of these bubbles will pop, some will deflate somewhat, a select few will get bigger but they will never pop in our lifetimes anyway.

The desire of sporting organisations to expand and expand and expand some more is and will continue to be met with resistance from a public who are punch drunk on television sport and increasingly only to want to watch “the real thing”, ie. the events that matter.

AFL is doing well. Again, like the NFL, it’s a one country sport and a closed league with salary caps.

It has established itself as being the primary spectator sport league in a far flung country, much like the NFL has. It has massive tradition and clubs that are massive instititutions.

The GAA has some of this dynamic but its primary competitions are more vulnerable to becoming uncompetitive to the point where they basically cease to function as competitions.

Agreed very few screamers anymore. Same with football its rare to see a pop of shot outside the 21 lets aline a dhot from the 45.

If a fella pulled on a ball in a hurling match now he’d be whipped off.

8 Likes

Nothing gets a bigger cheer though, fans love to see it

Waterford’s goal yesterday was a ground pull,

The Championship is the best league in the world to watch right now for entertainment value

1 Like

You are such an anglophile

Social media has an awful lot to do with it

You’d miss the old style full back coming out & launching it. I saw a fella clear it over his shoulder the other day & I hadn’t seen that in ages

1 Like

There definitely is a bubble…. Especially in football… the next natural step is the European league… who’s gonna keeping paying these ever increasing wages and fees… tv rights and sponsorship costs are astronomical and ever increasing… you don’t think we’ll see a bust in our lifetime well I say watch this space .