Sport Books

Smith is outstanding. Just picked up the Best American Sports Writing 2015 at the weekend. Mixed enough so far, the introduction by this years editor Wright Thompson was one of the poorest I’ve read which put me on guard, the two stories I read last night haven’t changed my suspicions. Last years edition, with Christopher McDougall editing, is an exceptional collection.

Haven’t got that yet though I have quite a few from the last few years. have you read the David Halberstam edited 'Best sports writing of the 20th century, people who think the best sports writers are alive now don’t know they’ve lived (still think Gary Smith is best of all though)

The book about the Cork ladies football team is a surprisingly decent read.

No but I’m going to order it now, thanks for the suggestion. I’ve read a good few articles or ‘longreads’ on boxing in various anthologies and they generally are the most enjoyable I think, most written back when the sport had the public’s attention. the backstory’s and connections with celebrities and organised crime and gambling of previous decades provides plenty of material.

1 Like

I’ll admit I lolled at that

3 Likes

Think I mentioned it earlier on this thread but Donald McRae’s book on Emile Griffith, a gay multiple weight boxing world champion in the 1960s, is a cracking book. It’s called A Man’s World and you’ll probably enjoy it if you like boxing books - not just Griffith’s story but the descriptions of the fights are brilliant and very evocative and it also gets into the political and cultural landscape at the time very well.

I’ve just downloaded “I Believe In Miracles” - the story of Clough’s 2-time European Cup Nottingham Forest side. I think Danny Taylor of The Guardian / Observer is a good football writer and I’m interested in the subject matter too.

2 Likes

Are these free ebooks, pal?

Weirdo

You’re some prick, twice now you’ve made some shitty remark about my posts. I have no idea why I set up an account here but with fuckwits like you around its gonna be short lived.

Just ignore.

This forum is built around robust exchanges and/or tedious/witty name calling.

Why don’t you know why you set up an account? Did you black out?

1 Like

No, I had been reading bits on and off for a couple of years, I had noticed that shitty element to some posters but in general it seemed populated with like minded people. I had never meant to sign up but one day last week I just did, not quite sure why. Haven’t explained myself well but attempted to answer your question.
If someone has a problem with my post or posting style I’d prefer more than just be called weirdo or told I’m not wanted.

I see Bandage mentioned the new Donald McCrae book, I recently read his book about Joe Louis and Jesse Owens (in black and white) and it was superb.

1 Like

You’ll be grand mate, the selfish giants bark is worse than his bite. He’s actually the nicest fella you’ll ever meet. Don’t be minding the barbs and fire a few back yourself over time. Just roll with it.

You cunt.

1 Like

Cunt.

1 Like

Ya, he seemed like one alright

Are you trying to come across as a thick cunt on purpose here?

2 Likes

Good.cocks who read books about ladies playing bogball arent welcome

Crashed and Byrned was the last sports book I read and it was excellent,did you ever come across him @Nembo_Kid ?

An excellent read about an outstanding fucking man. Tommy is an alright sort.

1 Like