Sport Books

Dry enough present.

Played it safe. They didn’t want to rock the boat

I read the Philly NcMahon book in the last few days, while it wasn’t complete dogshit it was fairly bad, saved only by the brothers story.
How it has won awards I can not comprehend, it’s a lot better than Tyrells but the Irish cycling book is 100 times better

Sympathy vote, who knew he could read or write?

2 Likes

I got the 42’s book for Christmas. I’ve actually read a lot of the articles before which is annoying but they are in fairness very good reads most of them. About random enough sports people like Patsy Freyne and David Busst the kind of people you wouldn’t normally read about. If you don’t read the 42 I’d say it’s a very good book

4 Likes

I’ve dipped into it and it’s not bad at all, I liked the Patsy Freyne one alright, he was a real character,

The 42 have done an excellent series on ex LOI legends, all of them have interesting stories about nearly making the big time what it’s like to be a pro but not getting paid much etc

1 Like

I haven’t read either as I can’t bring myself to read those GAA books anymore but Tyrrell’s seems off the hook when it comes to exaggeration and raw bullshit based on the bits I’ve seen.

1 Like

42 is a v good site. Makes great use of gifs and embedded video in their coverage.

It’s a pity they are associated with the journal because the difference in quality is night and day

Bro?

Philly is a cunt. All the scuttering and bollox talk he does about how much he loves Ballymun and he hasn’t tried a leg for them in the championship in 3 years. Connolly for all his issues gives everything for Vincents, hurling and football.

10 Likes

What’s this?

You may not have heard this bro, but Philips brother was a junkie. He doesn’t like to talk about it much though so try keep it to yourself.

2 Likes

:grin:

He doesn’t bother his bollox. That team is unmanageable now. Paddy Christie if he’s back in will have his work cut out.

It will be a very poor return for this generation of Ballymun players if they only win one championship. Philly, James McCarthy, Dean Rock, The Smalls, Alan Hubbard, Jason Whelan, Evan Comerforrd. If you got them pulling for you they’d beat the likes of Laois handy enough.

3 Likes

His brother John was a heroin addict, the poor mother in particular was heartbroken and did everything she could to help, he died at 31 from heart complications apparently.
Philly admits his own response was primarily embarrassment and he would cross the road rather than pass the brother on the street, I wouldn’t criticise him for it, there but for the grace of God and all that, I’ve kniwn people go a similar way.
Anyway it’s not enough to make the book worthwhile though it’s far from the worst GAA biography I’ve read.

Has he spoken publicly about this? Can’t say I’ve heard about it before.

1 Like

Well mate, I sense sarcasm but I never paid a jot of interest in this fella before

1 Like