Sporting icons falling out

He won the All Ireland!

How many can say that in a Cody world?

He won the all Ireland with a massively underdog team playing an unconventional style of hurling and more sprang an 18 year old debutant at full forward in an all ireland final replay.

It’s been said here before but, you literally couldn’t make it up.

3 Likes

they’d won 3 all Ireland under 21s before that.

4 Likes

Here is a John Fogarty article of said speech

Addressing the squad at Friday’s medal presentation in Ennis, the two-time All-Ireland winning manager warned them of the “disease of success” and asked whether they would be “destroyed by the euphoria in Clare”.

He said: “No matter how much ye did this year — and you did brilliantly and we’re all terrifically proud — you will not be regarded as great unless you win again because now you are just on the first rung of the ladder of greatness.

“Now where is Tommy Walsh on that ladder? Where is JJ Delaney, not to mention Henry Shefflin? Where are all the great Clare players of the past? If you can surpass all of that, you can get right up there. If you do not let what is known as the disease of success overtake you and that disease is complacency.

“Complacency is a disease that affects you when you’re feeling good about yourself, about what you have done and you feel nobody else is ever going to surpass you. You were up there all summer long, you were up at the very top but I tell you now this evening, there are teams all over Ireland and they are training harder, they are training smarter than ever before and their aim is to down you. Simple as that.”

Loughnane believes Clare’s style of hurling in this year’s All-Ireland finals has set the benchmark “for many years to come”.

“The use of the ball, the creation of space was something that we didn’t think we’d see again in hurling because we felt hurling was going to be dominated by hugely physical teams.

“That was the big worry of so many people, that physicality would take over and that you’d need fellas who were 6ft4, 14, 15 stone, really aggressive players, to win an All-Ireland.

“Isn’t it very strange that at the start of this year one of the big pundits in RTÉ wrote that there was no more room for the Joe Deanes in hurling anymore?

“The next thing Clare come along with numerous Joe Deanes and produce a scintillating display in the drawn game and even surpassed that again (in the replay).”

The All-Ireland final replay win, Loughnane said, was his most satisfying day in Croke Park. He thanked the players for taking the mantle off him and the 1997 team — the last group from the county to claim the title.

“It removed a massive weight off my shoulders. If I’ve been smiling since the end of September it’s because of that.”

3 Likes

hardly a guarantee of success look at limerick

I would say Ger sees his place as being first amongst equals anyway, for a fella that says he’s happier out hunting with the dogs now he makes sure to get his views aired with regularity. Both unbelievably driven men when they have something in their sights. Maybe both fonder of the stick than the carrot. The nineties lads would say now that they needed a subtler touch as they got towards the end of the decade but Ger only knew one way. Definite similiarities there.

1 Like

Enniskerry Junior B football team and the back of a truck.

3 Likes

Nope but it’s not like Davy turned water into wine either if you get me.

What happened with Davy in Clare as a manager at the end?

There were players dropping off the panel like flies if I recall correctly.

Is it a case that Davy’s management is so intense that despite an initial bump it’s usefulness can drain away after a while?

they got knocked out early in munster and regrouped through the back door.

if you had have been looking at clare in munster then it certainly was turning water into wine

That seems to be the case alright. Ah, I get what he’s done in the game, but it’s always all about him. “The game I love” etc, fuck off pal, we all love it, it belongs to us all. He soldiered with Lohan and Loughnane, won AIl Irelands together, they don’t have to be best pals but at least be civil in public

1 Like

But he has done it. So did Loughnane.

Nothing worse for me than so called ‘edgy’ pundits launching attacks at managers when they have a clue about what it is to manage a team successfully and like to hide behind their cushy TV or newspaper role. Probably more common on the football side in fairness.

Davy has always sought to be involved in hurling, right back from when he was a player and managing Sixmilebridge, right up to the present day. As @glasagusban said, he wasn’t afraid to pioneer a more unconventional form of hurling which went a long way toward winning him the All Ireland in 2013.

Undoubtedly he is a prickly character but for me more than anyone, his credentials and ‘putting his money where his mouth is’ cannot be questioned.

1 Like

Gerald McCarthy and Cork hurling
Justin McCarthy and Limerick & Waterford hurling

1 Like

They aren’t really what I’m talking about. Justin achieved nothing With limerick.

Ya, their last group of U21s have done fuck all

Mick Kinane and Aidan O’Brien

He didn’t bring that style of play to that team, they had it all the way up. That team was together since U16s and won everything up to 3 U21s AIs.

You could be forgiven for thinking he did, as he gave himself all the credit.

3 Likes

I think they’ve made up now.

1 Like

they werent 3 in a row

Cody dropped Carter and he didn’t take it well.