Sports return dates after Covid 19 shutdowns

Bayern Munich are returning to training today in small groups.

We’ll be watching soccer and hurling by June.

I was wondering from a selfish point of view would it be better if we had club gaa back instead of the inter county stuff. Might be better for community spirits and would take less organising maybe even less people to run games.

1 Like

Club will defo go back first I’d say. The inter county lads will want to train for a month at least before they play surely and 30 or 40k people in a stadium straight away after a ban being lifted would seem foolish vs a couple of hundred at a club game

I’d hope we Would have a straight knock out championship in maybe august/September. I think it would be better for communities if the clubs are back.

Federer probably doing his best with his underlings in the tennis authorities to get all slams cancelled this year and take away one of the remaining prime years of Nadal and Djokovic.

The French Open was rescheduled for the end of Sept but I would say it’s unlikely, in light of Wimbledon going now. In many ways it is probably the right thing to do but tough on Nadal and Djokovic who have very few slam winning years left at this stage and are both so close to surpassing Federer.

1 Like

Who knows what funny business or strokes The crowd in Wimbledon will look to pull here. They’ve broken from atp protocol on many occasions so I’ll be watching with interest. They’ve done everything to fuck over Nadal in the past. All I know is the French open has to be the next slam played. It’s only fair.

The problem with Wimbledon is the British weather and daylight - it is very tough how they can conclude this outside of early July/Aug/Sept time and the French Open have already stolen a march on them by rescheduling for the end of Sept.

Personally though, I don’t think any tennis should be played while the virus remains in circulation. It would make a mockery of a slam if players were succumbing to infections and having to withdraw through the tournament which remains a huge possibility for the remainder of the tennis season. I’d say it’s probably likely we won’t see tennis until next year’s clay court season.

2 Likes

Guys this is a sports thread speculating about the return of sport -take your tennis talk else where please.

1 Like

Obviously I’m talking on the proviso that it’s safe to play. Enjoy your day fulvio

I was thinking about what could, in theory return right now. The one that jumps into my head is Motorsport, particularly Formula 1. Pit crew and drivers wear PPE anyway and it’s about the only Motorsport tgat could make some money without a huge crowd present given its more of a TV sport anyway.

I assume county leagues will be pretty much scrapped and counties will just run off some form of extended club championships from July onwards other with the reduced calendar.

We need to get horse racing up and running again once its safe to do so.

1 Like

It’s finished.

P Harrington on tv the other day saying the Ryder Cup needs to happen so we can showcase golf to the world Fuck off. Golf is certainly one thing that is non essential in life and can piss off into next year. Of all sports, golf is the last one that “needs to be showcased”. Yeah we’ll showcase rich folk watching other rich folk in an exclusive resort sponsored by a luxury car maker or watch maker. Ballywank manor!

1 Like

I suppose it depends on the format of the championship. The Limerick championships will require a complete over haul now with 5 rounds missed between the two codes and the county league will probably be scrapped alright, no one really gives a fuck about it anyway.
But in the likes of Dublin they couldn’t scrap the county league or lads might only have two games in the whole year.
The Tipperary hurling championship with its 76 senior teams will probably be finished sometime in 2026

Outside of the senior A championships in dublin pretty much every other championship from Senior B down to Junior F/G/H is run off with 12 teams - two groups of 6 with the top 4 from each making the knockout stages and the bottom two into relegation play offs.

Would make sense to just play them off if/when it returns and then be done with it for the year. Every team gets 6 to 8 games and could be played off every second week from July to October.

It’ll be a different solution everywhere I guess. All going well I think they’ll let clubs have June, and fellas might have to play a football and hurling game the same week to catch up.
Then they’ll go back to old format for inter county hurling but much compressed, and same for football, no super 8’s but there is a back door and they’ll be over by mid September letting the clubs back at it in most cases from late August.
I presume the second tier championship will just be scrapped for the year that’s in it. They might have to bring in a no replay rule as well. 45s competition to win a football game? 2/5 would probably be a good score :joy:

Big difference between professional sports and GAA in terms of priority of bringing it back. Professional clubs are businesses and will be treated as such with games played behind closed doors. I think a GAA season re-starting before August is highly unlikely.