St Patrick's and St. Brigid's day

Is he not well documented? He wrote a few letters that survived etc? I listened to the Short History Of… podcast during the week and they seemed to have a lot of seemingly solid background sources.

Did he ever write to the Corinthians?

1 Like

I was listening to Drumshanbo’s Vincent Woods on RTE1 there earlier as he traverses the 32 counties.
Today he was in Co.Down and in one of the towns or villages he was in they claimed to have the saints jaw preserved, presumably in a glass case. It smelled like bullshit but sounded legit….

1 Like

Corinthians 1… Pegasus 0

Someone wrote letters alright… he’s supposed to be the first bishop sent to Ireland to convert the wildlings but the only official records in the church show auld Palladius was the first bishop sent to Ireland.
The contemporary sources either have two Patrick’s or one Patrick who lived to age 120. And the letters from a Patrick were vague on identity, where he served and where he came from. They were letters begging forgiveness for some wrong done if i recall correctly.

There was a figure called Patrick alright but what he actually did or where he came from is still unknown fully… He was more of a propaganda tool if i recall correctly and one used/claimed by Armagh to give it legitimacy as the top church in Ireland.

They reckoned he came over as part of Palladius crew. You probably tell children there’s no Santa Claus too

2 Likes

St Patrick started the fine and noble tradition of settlers coming over from the Mainland, to help Paddy by bringing a skill set and knowledge that was beyond the grasp of Paddy and which ultimately helped Paddy to evolve.

1 Like

It’s a great exercise for teaching kids about sources… If Palladius was sent to the Christians in Ireland, who converted them?

1 Like

We had already invented whiskey and hurling. We were pretty much set… You cunts set hurling back 800 years, a serious split season.

2 Likes

This car broke down and blocked the parade in the middle of a down pour

3 Likes

I would have preferred if the Scandinavians stuck around instead.

Palladius was a whore for the drink, they had to send Paddy over to finish the job.

4 Likes

Paladius

Would ya know much out of the biker gang? (random, I know).

The state of these cunts.

What a joke. You’d be mortified for @ChairmanDan and Cork

3 Likes

Yeah, tis always a good day out. You’d spend more time talking to lads on the way to the toilet, that you haven’t seen in years than anything else.

Food was good. Guinness was poor (standard). Entertainment was clichéd but enjoyable. I was driving but still had a great time. Coveney was there and spoke very well. He’s landed in a serious heatwave.

You’ll hardly hit the Rocks tomorrow? I’ll take the young lad in to the parade but shnake off early.

No

1 Like

Bound to happen someplace but for a well known Limerick hostelry that serves unreal Guinness to display the flag of Cote D’Ivoire on the day of Irish days is a bit unfortunate.

1 Like

You wouldn’t see it in Flannerys

It’s a subtle message that they value the customers they already have more than anyone outside the pub

4 Likes