Stage Dublinness -a Roy šŸ Curtis education

Nice phrase

7 Likes

The porter laureate would be proud of it

2 Likes

Brilliant writing earlier about Ballyfermot.

1 Like

Wanker

Ballyfermot is the next suburb across from where I come from. Thereā€™s a clear geographical divide between it and my suburb.

I went to school with a lot of folk from Ballyer and would work with them in warehouses. Iā€™d go to the tennis league they used to run on the courts down there around the time of Wimbledon. I used to walk down there a lot for no reason, Iā€™d go to the bookies down there because the bookies down there had much more life about it than my local bookies, or pick up my four cans of Tuborg on a Friday night from Molloyā€™s at the crossroads and then go to B. Borza and get a bag of chips or a battered sausage and walk home. Iā€™d walk down to the library there and borrow audio tapes. Thatā€™s how I got into That Petrol Emotion, because I borrowed an audio tape of Manic Pop Thrill from the library there. And Axis Bold As Love by Jimi Hendrix. Iā€™d walk home from town on Wednesday nights when there was no Nitelink bus and I was too skint to get a taxi and always walk through Ballyer. The morning Ireland played Spain in 2002 I made a point of cycling around the estates of old Ballyer and absorbing the sight of all the tricolours and bunting on the houses to get myself in the mood, because my estate didnā€™t have much bunting, by 2002 weā€™d grown out of all that and had notions about ourselves. I had to get in the mood by seeing tricolours. But I hate the way the tricolour is now being abused by vultures.

Thereā€™s a beauty and a warmth to the way old Ballyfermot is built. My area was more ā€œrespectableā€ but there was something dead and soulless about it by comparison. There was always a slight whiff of manic energy about the centre of Ballyer and indeed many of its streets but also a beautiful sense of life and a real air of self respect about the place. And never did I feel unsafe in it. Thatā€™s the way it should be. Thatā€™s what too many vultures want to take away from what should be a beautiful community.

12 Likes

Canā€™t picture you knocking around the cold cuts pal, fair play

4 Likes

Wanker.

1 Like

Roy and Nicola enjoyed all Cassidyā€™s had to offer yesterday

2 Likes

Brillaint.

Sick Boy : Well, at one time, youā€™ve got it, and then you lose it, and itā€™s gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reedā€¦

You can add Roy to that list.

Hope Roy isnā€™t buying into the Kool Aid to much and eyeing the long-term Bressie dollar. Lovely message but wrong platform.

He had me convinced he was at Cheltenham earlier in the week with his clear view and tweets the scamp. Turns out he was in the Dame Tavern with @Spidey and Nicola Tallant.

1 Like

Prick

Cassidyā€™s mate

1 Like

Prick

I havenā€™t read it but Iā€™m sure Roy the Boy ā€œgets itā€

Thatā€™s a stunning piece. It stopped me in my tracks completely. Outstanding and moving prose in equal measure.

PS, I too have not read it. Nor do I intend to.

4 Likes

Roy just gets itā€¦

8 Likes