Stage Dublinness -a Roy 🐐 Curtis education

Reminds me of John Duggan condemning the Russian invasion of Ukraine and Ewan mackenna tweeting a picture of Duggan kitted out in Russian gear at the 2018 World Cup.

Somebody please dig that up.

Could he rock up at The Examiner on the basis of ‘If that’s the kind of thing you like?’ I remember him writing soccer in The Sunday World 25 years ago. It’s amazing what he has managed to do really.

Not a bad guy, I can’t stand the Second Captains/OffTheBall soccer crew and I absolutely love high level soccer. I don’t mind Roy, I don’t think he holds himself out as an authority really, he is up and down on too many issues and his knowledge is surface level. He would possibly admit that himself; that’s the way his writing comes accross to me.

Kimmage is a ham and I could care less if Irish racehorse trainers are doping horses. Better talker than a writer and the man has made his whole career on a curveball.

Larry Ryan wrote a beautiful column today. Watched my Dad reading it and he just said ‘Yeah, that was it.’ Great talent.

1 Like

Tommy Martin off Virgin can write some decent pieces i find.

Christy O’Connor was fairly hard on Antrim during the week. I enjoy some of his anecdotes though.

What was Larry Ryan’s one about? He has a nice aul sneery but good natured style

Happy China anniversary Mr and Mrs Curt

The optimism of Tipp hurling

Spot on. Larry is very good – and highly underrated.

1 Like

Can anyone post it up?

3 Likes

That’s a lovely article. @Fat_Pox will enjoy it i think.

1 Like

“During half-time something happened that I had never seen before. Two Tipp men produced a whole cooked chicken out of a bag. It was broken and offered to all who sat nearby. We all got a piece… including some Cork supporters who happened to be sitting in the Tipp section of the stand.”
In that beautiful scene in Thurles, Tommy captures an enduring spirit that stayed alive through this dramatic losing streak. And he touches on Corkness too.
“Everyone was happy as they ate chicken on that warm July day in the Cathedral Town. We were happy because we were hurling well and we knew at that moment in time that we had a chance… and that is all we wanted. The Cork folk who shared in this feast were happy too… simply because they were Cork!”

Tipp and Cork. You can’t bate it (although clearly pretty much anyone can beat both teams these days).

2 Likes

Larry is top class – unlike a lot of noisy gobshites who could not write to save their life.

3 Likes

A first cousin of the author is one of my West Tipp friends.

2 Likes

Nice article. I’ve access to Examiner archives and must send on the PDF of it to the auld lad.

1 Like

Super idea.

Larry has a lot of excellent pieces. A bit like Dermot Crowe, similarly excellent, he does not blow his own trumpet.

2 Likes

I read it last week alright. A lovely piece. I thought about it and smiled when motoring down to the game on Sunday. I then remembered it again with 10 mins to go last Sunday and guffawed at my misled optimism and false hope.

The Examiner sub at a tenner a month is excellent value.

2 Likes

thats vile

1 Like

OMG, what a man.

https://x.com/roycurtis68/status/1788621268096254436?s=46&t=pBoz6vwJNpAFZhshXLNoZg

https://twitter.com/brendanfanning/status/1793980832211927354?s=46

By God

https://twitter.com/RoyCurtis68/status/1799852566186221752?t=4pz9jQ11Rebdo87Yianwbg&s=19

3 Likes