Stage Dublinness -a Roy šŸ Curtis education

He must be approaching retirement age anyway is he?

3 Likes

There is so much wanton negativity and cynicism around now that the world needs an Irish sportswriter with a child like positivity.

Roy had a niche, and we liked his niche. It helped us forget about genocide and war. Thatā€™s why Paul Kimmage no longer hits. Heā€™s right, heā€™s completely right, but we face so much negativity in the wider world that we are sick of confronting negativity in the sporting world, with the exception of the Abu Dhabi cheats.

2 Likes

Heā€™s only 55

1 Like

Based on the above vid heā€™s about 56 so yeah would be hitting it relatively soon. Iā€™d say itā€™s more the fact the regular day to day rug being pulled from under him as heā€™s a creature of habit. A break and a good book project could be ideal. Jim might let him do a biography.

3 Likes

Right, always assumed he was 60+ish. Bit to go so.
I was talking about RC by the way not Ian

He could have gone another 20 years plus penning columns, Iā€™m in bits with this news, watched his OTB piece earlier, Iā€™m genuinely in shock.

2 Likes

That morning Jim arrived into the hospice to give Royā€™s Ma the Dermo Connolly news before it broke to the public was one of the really great moments of that 5 in a row journey.

4 Likes

Con was in the Evening Press every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. My Da was a big Evening Press man. Iā€™d read the first paragraph of Con and then do something else. Conā€™s writing reminded me of watching the Late Late Show tribute to The Dubliners. I knew that one day I would inherit something of this cultural tradition, that this was the big boysā€™ stuff, but I was a child, and it was not yet mine. By the time it was mine, the Press was gone.

Royā€™s writing was like a child trying to be Con.

Nothing wrong with that.

One of my ambitions is to drink whiskey and milk in Mulligans at 10:45am the morning after a September All-Ireland hurling final.

1 Like

Yeah heā€™d branched out to life/human interest pieces that were far better than the likes of Roisin Ingle and Moncrieff in the Times. Iā€™d say heā€™ll be alright - probably just a removal of a big earner in Talbot St. Heā€™ll pick up some gigs to see out his days. Might have to reduce his stakes in Leopardstown and Fairyhouse though.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RoyCurtis68/status/1150443250282651651?t=Ylv-oSvOP19osb8SrzWplQ&s=19

3 Likes

Iā€™d say Roy doesnā€™t give a fuck about money or material things.

Once heā€™s enough for a few pints and a ringside seat to all the main sporting events heā€™d be happy out.

2 Likes

Royā€™s ultimate dream is to be somewhere in the Crucible when Dennis Taylor beat Steve Davis, somewhere in Wembley when Norman Whiteside scored that goal and somewhere in Loftus Road when Barry McGuigan beat Eusebio Pedrosa.

Sure itā€™s not 1985 right now, but who knows what the future will bring.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/RoyCurtis68/status/1784152727360074067?t=xijKNCpM_6vB5q0JVQxmFA&s=19

This should be good.

2 Likes

Seen that clip before and find it weird. Did yer man say he had a drink problem because Ian let in a goal in the indoor soccer or what? What was the premise of the show?
Id say Ian is one of those useless cunts who thinks heā€™s handy at 5 a side and takes it really seriously because the lads he plays with are even worse than him.

2 Likes

That picture of him in the Spain shirt there is hilarious. Eyes bulging like fucking Xavi.

1 Like

Fair comment. I hear RC is decent in person.

Tommy Conlon should have been chopped. He is beyond brutal in every way. Eoghan Harrisā€™ fluffer for Revisionism: The Movie. TC had a hapless feature with Peter Canavan in last weekendā€™s Sindo, for instance. He has no audience, same as Declan Lynch. Whatever I might think, and I know I have narrow enough tastes, RC has a very large audience.

1 Like

Steady on man

Brendan fanning has serious sources in the irfu and the various provinces. Youā€™d think heā€™d get another gig shortly.

I presume he was posting in the style of the great man himself