Stephen Carr announces retirement from Soccer

Just heard it on the radio there. Pure fecker was always dogged with injuries.

Will be best remembered for…not much actually. Shame really - I recall he was playing well for club and country around the time of qualifiers for WC2002 and then missed the finals through injury and was never much cop after that.

I met him a few times (he’s a friend of a friend), he’s a sound bloke, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him getting into coaching or some kind of background job

yes, a decent lad that for some reason people took a dislike to

i would have thought people felt he lack ambition, a bit like shay given.
for a few seasons he was the top fullback in england and he chose to go to newcastle

[quote=“HBV*”]i would have thought people felt he lack ambition, a bit like shay given.
for a few seasons he was the top fullback in england and he chose to go to newcastle[/quote]

In fairness when he did go to Newcastle they were going well with Bobby Robson as manager with a youngish team playing good football and were in the Champions League, you could hardly have said he lacked ambition when he joined, they subsequently went to shit under Souness/Roeder/Allerdyce…

I don’t think it’s just that he went to Newcastle. It’s that he went there and seemed to not give a shit. Whether it was just a case of losing his pace or not I don’t know but he started to get caught out horribly on a weakly basis (and I remember him getting skinned in the Faroes for Ireland) and his attitude just seemed shite.

For some reason?

Put in some pathetically lazy performances for Ireland in his last few games. Seemed like he didn’t give a shite.

One of the best right-backs in the world until he got that injury.

Just wanted to quote this post before Rocko got around to editing it.

At what stage did he join Newcastle? I presume it was after his knee problems and he never reproduced his early career form after those knee injuries.

Will remember him for the belter of a goal he got for Spurs against Man Utd in the pissings of rain. He got a few decent ones in his time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDM52QpNTTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpwcngnM3Q8

[quote=“Bandage”]Just wanted to quote this post before Rocko got around to editing it.

At what stage did he join Newcastle? I presume it was after his knee problems and he never reproduced his early career form after those knee injuries.[/quote]

Think it was around 2004 he joined newcastle bandage…his best years were around 1999-2002…Think he made th premier league team of the season at one stage

[quote=“Bandage”]Just wanted to quote this post before Rocko got around to editing it.

At what stage did he join Newcastle? I presume it was after his knee problems and he never reproduced his early career form after those knee injuries.[/quote]

It was a pun you stumour.

I’m not having that.

[quote=“HBV*”]i would have thought people felt he lack ambition, a bit like shay given.
for a few seasons he was the top fullback in england and he chose to go to newcastle[/quote]

Left to join Newcastle too late. Robson had a pretty decent side there at one time. They were after him for years.

Not sure about the top full back in the EPL but he was up there. Had a fantastic game away to Portugal in the WC 2002 qualifiers. Was marking Figo for most of that game. Really looked a top player then. Bad knee took a while to get over. Came back bald and a bit tubby and was pretty shit from then on. His attitude badly stunk for Ireland and Newcastle from then on. Had an absolute diabolical game against Villa last season for Newcastle. Not sure if he played again for them after.

Somehow Brian Kerr preferred him to Finnan. Produced some awful displays in return and did he not cause trouble for Kerr behind the scenes too?

It should be a warning to young players everywhere. You only have one stab at your career and should make the most of it. At 32 Carr is not retiring. No one wants the useless cunt. Leicester City had him on trial and didnt want to keep him. He probably has enough of being humiliated since last summer when Newcastle let him go. Expect Ian Harte and Gary Breen to follow suit. Both of whom are unemployed afaik

another in a long line of mediocre, obnoxious and unlikeable Irish international players.

He wasn’t always mediocre. Before he got injured he was one of the top full backs around.

:wink:

why is he obnoxious

[quote=“north county corncrake”]:wink:

why is he obnoxious[/quote]

because he turned his back on his country not once but twice.