Stick hurling: Parental Guidance advised

Be disappointing to hear the best player of his generation didn’t get the treatment his injury deserved. Long history of fellas turning into yesterday’s man way too quick from being rushed back from injury, across all sports

The split season has ruined Cian Lynch.

I agree it is a barrier, but I still think it’s overstated. And I did say great players, not most players.

Eclipsed in what way?

Hopefully he sorts it. He’s one of the main reasons we are the greatest team ever in any sport.

The big differences are the size of the bas, the lack of ridges on the sliothar now and the weight of the sliothar. The above made the trajectory of the ball and first touch more uncertain. It also couldn’t travel as far.

I know there might be a safety issue, but they could look at making the ball heavier. This would mean it would be in play more and games would have more of the rhythm if the old days.

The year after Limerick win 5-in-a-row would be the ideal time to trial it.

2 Likes

Greatness.

They have changed the sliotar this year (the new ones are shit) but some teams are still using the Cummins.

A friend of mine caught a Cummins ball that didnt have Smartball logo on it on the terrace at Tipp v Cork game.

Its a crazy fast ball, too fast I think really.

Modern game is fantastic athletically, we just need the ball in play for more sustained periods and something to deter long rangeshooting and bring the emphasis back on goals.

The result of all the evolution we’ve seen is that it’s now easier than ever to score points. It’s not easier than ever to score goals, just points. Between the ball, the hurl, training, rules, tactics all of that has led to a skewing of scoring in hurling.

Points are now over-valued relative to their ease of being attained. What’s the solution? You need to keep it simple.

There’s all kinds of suggestions I’ve heard that’d make things harder to referee/enforce/manage. Keep a certain amount of people inside lines. Only score inside 65. Smaller bas, heavier ball. No to all of them.

The value of scoring in hurling need to be addressed.
Simple enough. 5 points for a goal.

7 Likes

He knows it himself.

5 points for a goal could be epic

Would make for great games. My father reckons the sliothar has ruined hurling.

2 Likes

He’s dead right. The change from a beach ball was super controversial.

1 Like

@Fagan_ODowd once suggested two sweepers behind the full back line. This tactic’s hour has finally come.

If it’s 5 points for a goal and you completely sell out to not concede goals you’re gonna be leaving space elsewhere for easy points. You’re then picking your poison.

Five is radical but four is surely merited.

@gilgamboa wants 4 and a conversion from the 65 with it.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::+1::+1::+1::+1:

The current sliothar!

Crisper striker no problem there but definitely not better vision. Didn’t he set up 2.6 in an all irealnd of something like that in 2021