Strange Football Words And Phrases

There’s some words you don’t often hear or read other than when it’s football related. I have decided to note some of these. If you’re not interested then fook you:

Teams don’t simply sign a new player. They often ‘swoop’ to sign the player in question.

Rarely does the transfer window close or merely get shut. Instead teams are generally trying to complete late deals before the transfer window ‘slams shut’.

Players are often ‘adjudged’ to be offside or ‘adjudged’ to have committed a foul. I feel this word should be used in the court system, e.g. ‘The defendant was adjudged to have assaulted the plaintiff but we will be aiming to disprove this allegation.’

Managers leave jobs through ‘mutual consent’ rather than being fired or fooking off themselves. Have you ever left your job through mutual consent?

And what about the word ‘notched’? It’s such a ridiculous word - ‘Yossi Benayoun notched a hat-trick for Livepool today.’

That’s all for now.

The headline on skysports.com on Tuesday was ‘Celtic Swoop For Pair’. Case closed.

Also, when two clubs agree a fee for the transfer of a player then it’s often that ‘the only potential stumbling block is likely be over the negotiation of personal terms.’ I remember last summer when I got the initial offer from my current employers and my Dad asked if I was going to take the job. I replied that I was thinking about it and I was hoping to squeeze more money out of them. I should have said, ‘I’ve agreed in principle to accept the position but the only potential stumbling block is likely to be over the negotiation of personal terms.’

Players are often ‘snapped up’.

This usually relates to where a player leaves for a small amount of money and the signing represents a bargain.

Yesterday BBC reported that Rangers had ‘snapped up’ Christian Daily on a free. West Ham, should actually be paying someone to take that useless piece of shite away.

Disappointed love.

Come again?

Referring to a footballer with good technique as a technician really grates with me.

“An educated left foot”

It only ever seems to be an educated left foot, never a right foot.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 766650, member: 181”]“An educated left foot”

It only ever seems to be an educated left foot, never a right foot.[/quote]
We had another thread we discussed left foots on didn’t we? Someone bump the football clichés thread.

But it’s still a strange football phrase.
Looks like this thread needs an adjudicator on the differences between phrases and cliches.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 766659, member: 181”]But it’s still a strange football phrase.
Looks like this thread needs an adjudicator on the differences between phrases and cliches.[/quote]

Spun on a six spence-

[quote=“The Runt, post: 766650, member: 181”]“An educated left foot”

It only ever seems to be an educated left foot, never a right foot.[/quote]
Or a cultured left foot.

Wenger used it when referring to the Arsenal fans and their treatment of RVP.

A “stonewall” penalty

This is a nonsensical phrase - Football commentators, pundits and fans use the word as though it was to mean something is certain, or definite, which is at odds with the true definition of the word.

[SIZE=12px][FONT=Georgia]Definition of[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=12px][FONT=Georgia] [/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=12px][FONT=Georgia]stonewall[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]verb[/SIZE]

[with object]
[LIST]
[]delay or obstruct (a request, process, or person) by refusing to answer questions or by being evasive:she has also stonewalled queries about her love life(as noun stonewalling)a master in the art of stonewalling and political intimidation
[
] [no object] Cricket bat extremely defensively.
[/LIST]
[SIZE=4]noun[/SIZE]

[LIST]
[*]an act of delaying or obstructing a person, request, or process:I have repeatedly given him the opportunity to clear this matter up, but the estate has met with stonewall after stonewall
[/LIST]

I fucking abhor the term ‘manipulation of the football’, this phrase is employed by wankers. Stewart Robson just used it there.

People who play with “mirrors”.

FOAD.

I get quite upset when commentators mention foot races. What is the alternative, a bicycle falls out of the sky and they have a bicycle race to the ball?

i dont mind the use of the term “foot race”, when the two players start at an even footing and neither has the advantage.

Wand of a left is a bugbear of mine.

a “crack” Eastern European side.

Lowly as in lowly Aldershot

What’s the difference between a power ranking and just a regular ranking?