Superbowl LI: The Road to Houston, Texas

Ah you spent a few months in canada, if you wanted to properly immerse yourself in sporting culture you would have followed hockey, instead you jumped straight on the boston oirish bandwagon.

You have fairly nailed the fool regarding irish soccer fans though, the biggest kool aid drinkers to skys hype. Fair enough soccer fans in dublin or a select few other urban areas with a history in the game following it, nothing as laughable as roasters in limerick or kerry in this years, every years, brand new manyoo jersey roaring at the tv. Didnt ten thousand fools in cork turn up to watch the Liverpool reserves once. I bet julio was there, with his Liverpool tracksuit and jordan F1 team cap on.

4 Likes

Nova Scotia, kid, We picked up all New England sports… there was no pro hockey team in Halifax. Went to a few Junior games and the equivalent of u21 international fixture as the Canucks took on Russia in Halifax.

Life hasn’t been kind to fridge but he’ll be forever remembered as the first superstar of American Football in Ireland.
Still better known than Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Dick Butkus and Terry Bradshaw put together. Great timing.

If you were a bit younger you’d have been a massive Chicago Bulls fan and have had posters of Jordan on the wall and you’d be telling me I was too thick to understand the nuances of basketball “shur it’s non-contact” I’d be muttering incomprehensibly into my pint in my local hovel.
You’re a sheep mate it’s ok, we all are. But don’t be giving lads shit about not being as a big a sheep as you are just because you’ve taken your sheepishness to the next level

4 Likes

Liverpool reserves my hole, that was the full available squad, I went to watch them train up in Cork Con the day before, couldn’t figure out why they were calling Dalglish ‘gaffer’. Kevin McDonald scored a hoser.

Hooper, Beglin, Venison, Lawrenson, Gillespie, MacDonald, Whelan, Johnston, Wark, Dalglish, Rush. Came on as sub: Mølby (for Wark). Unused subs : Alan Hansen, Sammy Lee and Steve McMahon. Irish XI:O’Neill, Gregg, Langan, Neville, MurphyOreally, Lawless, De Mange, OBrien, Houghton,Mooney, Byrne This match was originally scheduled to take place in 1985 as part of Cork’'s 800th birthday celebrations. But it had to be re-scheduled because of the post-Heysel ban on where Liverpool could play within Europe.

:rollseyes:

as if I’d let sky tell me what to do. It was John Madden and his EA sports companions who made me a sheep

1 Like

I preferred the hockey one, maybe thats where I went wrong?

I’ve been advised that 2 (two) TFK posters wear their favourite NFL team’s helmets while watching Sky’s coverage.

3 Likes

I never meant for any of this to happen, I hope this doesn’t effect our elationship

:slight_smile:

:joy:

Doubt you will see more than 12 likes for that, mate. Good effort tho.

Was @maroonandwhite the first poster who jumped into everyone elses head too when they read this?

1 Like

As a boy I always kept an eye on the results of the Sezchuan Chickens

2 Likes

You had a major junior team bro, the lifeblood of canadian hockey. That world juniors victory over the commies is still remembered fondly.

No i dont accept that pal. As i stated i, and many others followed it long before joe.ie started asking people to send in pics of their awesome superbowl parties. Ive looked at lots of sports over the years and found ive no real interest in them. Motor sports, racing, and soccer really, all of which have serious flocks in ireland and are champions of the media. I started following hockey when i moved here as everyone does, fairly sheep like i suppose but it turns out i love it. I and others beat the curve on nfl so i wont have my good name besmirched.

It would be a passable quip if you hadnt put photos of yourself up watching the fucking irish American football league. Why didn’t you play it, id say youve a nose for the ball.

You’re not invited to my party you odious cunt. Stop stalking me. :anguished:

It was a video and not a photo. My running with buggy commitments preclude me from taking up other sports

2 Likes

Oooooft.

Not an ooooft