Swimmix

Yes. No.
try running without breathing and see how far you go

5 Likes

Try this. Don’t worry about your stroke for a while just think of the breathing as a type of yoga . once your head is underwater start breathing out in a long slow deliberate flow. Like you’re blowing out througj a straw. Stay underwater swimming away for as long as it takes to empty your lungs then turn your head up for more air on the next stroke. Think of nothing only the breathing. It gets you very comfortable with being underwater for a prolonged period. Once you have that you can regulate your breath to every 2/3/4 breaths or whatever floats your boat.

2 Likes

No. The Aldi and Lidl stuff is great I’m. Especially the shorties for kids to play around in the summer.

1 Like

My swimming technique is woeful, when I swim I’m forcing my way through the water where as the good lads seem to glide on top of it. I used to be a reasonable swimmer in my day but I’d hardly swim more than a handful of times a year at this stage. Pretty much only when I’m on holidays.

I was like that but I’m coming out of it now.

I find that people who can swim well, as opposed to people who can teach, are terrible teachers because they seem to think that you’ll just catch on to it.

My stroke is decent now, just make sure that you have high elbows under the water when you’re pulling back, with your fingers held tight together. When you’re reaching forward the further you stretch forward to break into the water will help you glide more easily.

This can also be from your kicking, mate … a lot of people tend to kick from the knee down instead of from the hip down - this can prop you up out of the water instead of keeping you flat.

1 Like

I’d say my kicking is definitely wrong, it’s all much smoother when I use mainly my arms.

A Chinese Olympic standard swimmer I used to know(pjutkt) gave me a few pointers on this. Basically, keep as long as you can for as long as you can. The longer you are(stretched out tips of fingers to tips of toes) the better your body glides through/over the water. Think of your body stretching straight as you swim.

Don’t bother with kicking and concentrate on your stroke and breathing first. Once that’s right then you can start adding kicking.

Get yourself a pair of fins. They sorted out my kicking in a couple of weeks with a few lengths every time I was in the pool.

Not a swimming expert even though i’m a reasonable swimmer. I think just what works best for you.
I would imagine a balanced approach is ideal. So slowing down and going thru a rputine to practice may work well. 1-2-3-4 left, 1-2-3-4 right

Or something simple like that

the Oirish are an embarrassment when it comes to swiming

1 Like

Why is that, mate?

they aren’t a buoyant race

Weighed down by our insecurities

2 Likes

I could always swim but never learned the proper technique until I paid an instructor €30 in March before I went on holidays. He watched me for 5 minutes and then set me straight for the next 40 minutes. Definitely the best money I’ve spent this year. Flying it now and it’s an addictive (and relaxing) way to start your day. I’d do 40-50 lengths now a few mornings a week #winning

7 Likes

It’s calling lads. It’s calling.

3 Likes

Just back from a dip with the wee lad. Great water but got burnt. Beshofffs in malahide for a hake meal late lunch.

There and back. Savage swim. Met about 40/50 jellyfish but they couldn’t lay a tentacle on me.

1 Like