Swimmix

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 890551, member: 1786”]From the INTERNET:

Through my travels in Ireland I learned that it is bad luck for an Irish fisherman to learn to swim. They believe that once you learn you’ll be forced into a situation to use it. Every year there are nearly 200 commercial fisherman drownings. I couldn’t believe that not learning to swim wasn’t a staple for the industry. i confronted an old salty Irish fisherman over a pint of Guiness and asked him why there was no yearn to learn. He told me, “If heaven forbid you fall overboard, take a long drink of that black water and swim for the bottom and save yer’self the misery of false hope.” The waters are so unforgiving that even the strongest swimmers find their doom.[/quote]

Bunch of fucking eejits. I’ll swim to shore no bother, faeries be damned.

Reasonably good swimmer. Learned in the old James Stephens swimming pool and the Kings river.

TASE mate, Aussies are such good swimmers because every cunting thing that lives in the water over there is a dangerous bastard.
You’d fuckin want to be good if you’re going to share that water with it inhabitants.

Below average swimmer. Can’t do the breathing properly and only swim in one breath.

Stupidly went for Community Games swimming trials when younger against two lads from a swimming club. As I was halfway down they were on the way back up so I jumped out at the far end after a length and motioned to the crowd by rubbing my eyes that my departure was due to excessive chlorine in the water that my goggleless eyes couldn’t cope with. I looked a right mongo.

1 Like

Like Beckham going back to inspect the penalty spot that time. :smiley:

If you like swimming and are ever in Mexico, try and visit one of the cenotes which are like sunken pools. The water is cold but not freezing and its amazing to swim in, albeit shitly on my part.

http://www.tuulavintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_3430.jpg

Swimming under waterfalls is a fucking class experience.

[quote=“Piles Hussain, post: 890572, member: 363”]Reasonably good swimmer. Learned in the old James Stephens swimming pool and the Kings river.

TASE mate, Aussies are such good swimmers because every cunting thing that lives in the water over there is a dangerous bastard.
You’d fuckin want to be good if you’re going to share that water with it inhabitants.[/quote]
No, because wr learn to swim at age 3 and we dont tolerate floaties

My cousin (about 10 years older than me) taught me how to swim by throwing me into the pool in Bunclody when I was about 7, she was a lifeguard. Never had any formal lessons and I regret that. I can swim 300 metres in a 50 metre pool without stopping, but I must look a right gobshite as my technique would be awful. Especially when you look at oul fellas and wans over here cruising past you with this beautiful technique, I know one lad here well in his 60’s who swims nearly 2kms every morning. I have to do some swimming lessons to learn proper breathing techniques.

Kids are blessed here with swimming classes, part of their schoolingand things like nippers (junior lifeguard training / sport). It really should be compulsory for every kid to learn to swim properly.

This thing about fishermen not learning to swim I’ve always thought was a load of oul horseshit, like fennel tea producing copious amounts of breast milk.

Fisty, were you ever a victim of that george gibney chap who tought swimming?

What does swimming have to do with causing accidents while rafting?

As some activities take place outside the raft in the water

Like drowning

Swimmers can cause accidents by getting in the way of boats obviously. Like this guy.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boat-race-protester-trenton-oldfield-jailed-for-six-months-over-oxfordcambridge-disruption-8218456.html

Fair enough, thank you for the clarification

[quote=“glasagusban, post: 890768, member: 1533”]Swimmers can cause accidents by getting in the way of boats obviously. Like this guy.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/boat-race-protester-trenton-oldfield-jailed-for-six-months-over-oxfordcambridge-disruption-8218456.html[/quote]

That chap proved his point in unfortunate circumstances

@flattythehurdler your next challenge:

http://www.the42.ie/interview-david-burns-swimming-round-ireland-2117207-May2015/

Fuck that.

I know a lad that worked as a lifeguard in a swimming pool over in the states on a J1 visa for a summer a few years back, the fucker isn’t able to thread water not to mind swim, was found out on the last week he was there when a child got into difficulty. Luckily another fella in the pool saved the day, some neck on some people.

[QUOTE=“Spidey, post: 890575, member: 289”]If you like swimming and are ever in Mexico, try and visit one of the cenotes which are like sunken pools. The water is cold but not freezing and its amazing to swim in, albeit shitly on my part.

http://www.tuulavintage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_3430.jpg[/QUOTE]

It looks lovely out, would it be a bit ambitious to head out to the forty foot for a swim, @Juhniallio @Horsebox?