Swimmix

Tis a beauty boys. Lovely bit of power in the waves. You’d bodysurf 25 yards with them easy. Was warm too.

2 Likes

Sunny day lads. Make the most of it. Water is beautiful

3 Likes

Savage. Off all next week - will be getting a few in

1 Like

Today was outstanding. 5 of us nicking off work. Sun bashing the vitamin d into you. Good craic and a breakfast sambo after to undo all the good work.

3 Likes

Jammers down the shelties. Driving rain coming in. Tide a mile out but great fun and waves. A seal popped up beside us and one of the lads got freaked so we called it after thst.have a good weekend lads.

5 Likes

Sandycove this morning

T’was too rough at the 40 foot

4 Likes

It has turned winter lads. Fucking cold in there this morning. Peope starting to swim with more clothes on in the water than out.
@KinvarasPassion i believe Kinvara will be a hotbed of swimming for the next 3 months? Seems a bit hardcore to me but fair fucks.

1 Like

Different fucking gravy làds!

7 Likes

Ah here.

Robert Maxwell esque

1 Like

Was in at vico last Sunday and it was balmy, sun was shining and the water temperature was pretty nice. I’m sure the dip must be coming soon, maybe that was it.

1 Like

It is mate. I feel like I’ve taken your life for 3 days

1 Like

Bliss

1 Like

Decided to test the chest today when i saw the cut of the day. You’d really feel the month off. Fucking freezing!

2 Likes

Big IM set today followed by 5x200 front crawl max effort.
I was fucked. Managed 2.55 for the first 200, then 3.04 3.03 3.02 and 3.02 all off 4 mins 30.
Then 100 max effort from a dive which was a mere 14 seconds slower than my PB :confused:
I’m still tired now.

1 Like

Went in for the first time in just over two weeks today. It was properly cold. Very refreshing though.

10 Likes

I recognise that spot from a walk we did in Dunmore a while back. Grand spot for a dip

1 Like

Yeah. Portally. Lovely cliff walk all the way from the top of Dunmore out to Ballymacaw. About 4.5 miles one way. Three coves that are all great swimming spots - Portally, Rathmoylan and Ballymacaw.

1 Like
3 Likes

Sea swimmers warned of cold water risk to lungs

PAUL CULLEN

Health Editor

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water, doctors are warning about a relatively little-known hazard linked to open water swimming, fluid on the lungs.Otherwise known as pulmonary oedema, the condition has been reported in 1 to 2 per cent of open-water swimmers, according to the authors of a new study.

Older age, swimming long distances, cold water and being a woman are among the risk factors, as are high blood pressure and pre-existing heart disease. But it frequently occurs in those who are otherwise fit and healthy, the authors say.

They point to mounting evidence of the link between open-water swimming and swimming-induced pulmonary oedema, or SIPE, which leaves swimmers struggling to draw breath and depletes their blood of vital oxygen.

The popularity of open-water swimming has soared since the pandemic, with many enthusiasts doing it year-round in spite of sea temperatures falling to as low as 6 degrees.

Struggling to breathe

The study, published in the journal BMJ Case Reports, concerns a single case, a woman in her fifties who is a competitive long-distance swimmer and triathlete.Otherwise fit and well, she was struggling to breathe and coughing up blood after taking part in an open-water swimming event at night in water temperatures of about 17 degrees while wearing a wetsuit.

On arrival at hospital, her heartbeat was rapid and a chest X-ray revealed pulmonary oedema. Further scans revealed fluid had infiltrated the heart muscle, a sign of strain known as myocardial oedema. She had no structural heart disease.

Her symptoms settled within two hours of arrival at hospital and after monitoring, she was discharged the following morning. She has returned to full training.

The doctors say it is not clear exactly what causes SIPE. Recurrence is common and has been reported in 13 to 22 per cent of scuba divers and swimmers, suggesting a predisposition to the condition, say the authors.

They advise swimming at a slower pace, accompanied, in warmer water, without a tightfitting wetsuit, and avoiding non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen to minimise the risk.

As tough as it gets this morning. Absolutely baltic. Fingers still frozen. A long walk in to get any depth, absolutely still so it’s holding all the cold. Like walking theough a giant marsh of soup someone took out of the freezer.
Still, you get some enjotment once you get down and the chat is always decent. Roll on spring.

5 Likes